-42- Dark Wings Fall

Ladybug and Cat Noir wait in the foyer of the mansion for the police to arrive. She tightens her yo-yo around Gabriel, and he groans out, "Do you have to tighten it?"

"Yes. After what you've done to Adrien?" She nods. "You deserve it."

Gabriel rolls his eyes and glances at the feline. "Adrien, we could have been a family again. If you didn't let your feelings for this stupid girl get in the way—"

Cat Noir smacks his father across the face.

Ladybug gasps as Gabriel stares with wide eyes.

"Insult Marinette again and see what happens," The hero threatens.

Gabriel stares straight ahead at the front door, his cheek red, and all emotions fall from his face. "Nathalie has the peacock miraculous," He admits, clearing his throat. "She'll give it back to you, but please... I never wanted her in this mess anyway. Spare Nathalie, please."

Ladybug and Cat Noir share a look.

The front doors open, and Officer Roger and his team run in. After he handcuffs him, Ladybug removes her yo-yo and takes a step back. "Mr. Agreste... I don't even know what to say. Paris looked up to you!"

"Yes, yes, what a shame," The villain mutters as he's escorted out of the mansion.

Officer Roger turns to his team. "Check the office and basement!"

The two heroes walk back upstairs to his bedroom. They stare out the big windows with sigh in sync.

"Claws in."

"Spots off."

They transform back into themselves and watch outside as a police car drives by the house, his father stuffed in the back seat. The father and son make eye contact for the last time before the car disappears around the corner.

"Are you okay, Adrien?" Marinette asks.

Adrien looks over and smiles. "I am now. I'm glad this nightmare is over."

She lowers her head and whispers, "I'm... I'm sorry about your mother."

He frowns and stares around his room. "I can't believe my father had her down there this entire time. She didn't deserve that."

"What are you doing to do?"

Adrien falls back on the couch, slouching, and sighs. "I'm going to give my mother the funeral she deserved. A sweet farewell surrounded by people who love and care about her."

Marinette sits beside and hugs him. "I'm so proud of you, Adrien. Even when your father promised you your old life back, you didn't sway. You didn't give in. You are the strongest person I know."

He cries into her shirt and admits, "I wanted to give in. There was a moment I wanted to screw everything, screw logic, and just hand over my ring if it meant seeing my mother again. But... I know my mother wouldn't have wanted that. She deserved to go peacefully." He picks his head up and glances at the screensaver on his computer, the last picture he took with his mother. "I might never find out what really happened to her, but I think I can live with that now."