-26- Exposed

The Next Morning

Marinette walks alone to school, dragging her feet on the sidewalk. She didn't want to face Adrien after leaving that voicemail for him last night. He never got back to her, and she's quick to assume he ignored it and wants nothing more to do with her. "What if Adrien hates me, Tikki?" The sad girl wonders out loud.

"Adrien doesn't hate you," The kwami reassures her for the fifth time that morning.

"But what if he does?"

"He doesn't, Marinette."

"But—"

Tikki raises her voice and shouts, "HE DOESN'T HATE YOU!" The two blink at each other and the kwami hides in shame. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you."

Marinette reaches in her purse and pats her on the head. "It's okay. We all shout sometimes. I'm just really nervous."

"About what?"

"I don't want Adrien and I to stop being friends." She frowns and adds, "But I also don't want him to get the wrong idea."

"What wrong idea?"

Marinette looks down at the kwami. "That we're getting back together, or might."

"Even if Adrien wants to?"

She shakes her head. "Trust me, he doesn't."

Tikki rolls her eyes. She ducks and hides in the purse.

Eyes still glued to the sidewalk, Marinette runs straight into Adrien's back, causing them both to fall on the ground. She lands on top of him as their bags' contents spill out. They stare at each other with wide eyes, their pounding hearts beating in sync.

"S-Sorry, Adrien," She whispers, embarrassed.

He shakes his head. "No, it's my fault, Marinette."

Marinette climbs off of Adrien and they sit side by side, sharing a sad smile, and laugh. They start gathering their papers and textbooks. She looks at the model, desperate to say something, but she doesn't know how to start the conversation. "Umm... it's been a while since we've talked. In person, you know. How are you doing, Adrien?"

Adrien opens his mouth to speak and pauses. He didn't know how to answer that question honestly. "I've been better," He admits.

"I'm sorry."

"I got your voicemail," He suddenly adds, helping her stand. "Last night."

Her eyes widen. "Oh, r-really? You heard it?"

Adrien nods. "I'm not mad at you for believing Lila. That picture was pretty convincing on its own. I'm just glad you believe me now." He grabs her hand. "Maybe we could—"

"Adrien..." Marinette pulls her hand free. "I'm glad you're not a backstabbing, cheating, jerk-bag, but you deserve someone better than me. I really want us to be friends, though, if that's okay with you."

"I can do that." He shakes her hand. "Good morning, friend." Any excuse to hold her hand.

She smiles and shakes back. "Good morning, friend. See? We're good at this already." She stares at his hand and notices he hasn't let go yet. "Uh, you can let go of my hand now."

Adrien blushes. "Oh? Sorry."

They walk into school together. Everyone starts glaring at the model, whispering to each other, and that's when Marinette remembers that because of the cheating drama, all his friends turned their backs on him.