4. Twoset Searchers X (Warren's story 3)

When the end is nearing, I get an urge to stay close by.

---------------------------------------

Warren looked across the breakfast table at his mother who was sipping her coffee.

"..Mum?"

"Yes Warren?"

"Would it be okay if I go to and see this anime movie with a friend from school tomorrow? He's in my maths class and his name is Eddy."

His mother looked up from her coffee cup and smiled.

"Of course you can Warren. That sounds like a lovely idea."

Warren smiled back.

"That's great. I.. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks mum...!!"

Warren got out of his seat, went up to his mother and gave her a hug.

"..Warren? This is rather unusual..?"

"I.. I'm just really happy... I.. I haven't made.. that many friends at school this year so I'm really excited that I made a new friend that I can share interests with."

His mother wrapped her arms around her son.  She sensed school had been difficult for her son this year.  Her son talked to her less and less and in the last 6 months or so she had not heard her son talk to his friends on his phone or tell her about going out with them.

"Well, that sounds fantastic. I'm really happy for you Warren."

"Thanks Mum.. so.. I suppose I should get going to school... bye."

"Yes, I'll see you later Warren, have a lovely day."

"Thanks you too... love you."

"I love you too, Warren."

Brett was invisible to Warren's mother. He stared at the mother and son break away from their hug and part. Brett furrowed his brows as he fought the pain he felt in his chest. He then quickly followed Warren out the front door.

When the end is nearing, I get an urge to stay close by.

As Warren walked to his bus stop, he wiped his tears with the back of his hand. Brett whispered to him from behind;

"Warren, .. I thought.. that was very ..touching."

Warren replied between soft sobs.

"I.. I think I ..did the ..right thing. I ..think ..she'd want to ..know ..that I was ...happy. Maybe... she'll try to contact ...Eddy and ...tell him about me....?"

"Yes, I agree. And yeah perhaps she would."

They walked up to the main road where the morning rush hour had already started and the amount of traffic seemed to be picking up. The bus stop where Warren caught his bus to school was just across the busy main road. Warren was walking a few steps ahead of Brett when Brett noticed what he had been dreading to see.

When the end is nearing, I see my scythe materialise in front of me.

With shaking hands, Brett reached out and grabbed his scythe. Warren was just about to cross the road as the pedestrian traffic light had turned green.

When the end is here, I use my scythe to detach the soul from the body.