24. Twoset Gloved IX

Eddy went over to the barista counter and ordered their coffees. He sighed and smiled, enjoying the warm feeling he had and the anticipation of having coffee with Brett, talking about nothing and everything and learning more and more about him.

Hopefully, we'll have no interruptions.. just the two of us, even if we're surrounded by 300 students I can still feel like it's just the two of us in a sea of people when I'm talking to him.

He gazed across the large university eatery and his eyes widened.

Monica was sitting next to Brett.

F*ck I've jinxed myself...!!

-----------------------------------------

"Mate, thanks for waiting, here are your coffees. I hope you enjoy them."

"Thank you. I hope so too.."

Eddy returned to where Brett and Monica sat and felt deflated seeing them seated next to each other.

Did she just invite herself to sit down next to Brett?

Or did Brett invite her to sit down?

So is she joining us for coffee?

Is she gonna join us for lunch?

..F*ck, can I stop thinking like a high school girl?!

"Here you go, Brett. Hello Monica."

"Oh, hi Eddy nice to see you again, were you and Brett hanging out together?"

Eddy had to exercise so much control so that he would not roll his eyes to the back of his skull. Or scream at the top of his lungs. He was so tempted to do both.

"Yeah, we'll get some lunch after these coffees.."

"That's nice."

"Yeah, it is"

Awkward silence.

"Well, I'll leave you two with it.. have a nice day."

"Thank you."

Eddy secretly sighed in relief.

...Perhaps too soon.

Monica turned around towards Brett.

"Actually Brett.. may I have a word with you?"

Brett stammered;

"W..what?"

"Aren't you guys about to order some food? Please, just till your food is ready? Otherwise, will you make time for me, Brett? I would like to talk to you.. in private."

Brett bit his lower lip.

"Monica, please.. this is not a good time.."

Monica looked into Brett's eyes and tilted her head. She glanced towards Eddy, then looked towards Brett's eyes again.

Eddy bit his lower lip. He then closed his eyes for a second then spoke.

"Brett.. will you leave the lunch order with me? I'll get the food. You trust me with the order?"

"Of course I do."

"Alrighty then. I'll see you in a bit."

Eddy waved and with his coffee cup in hand, walked off towards the Chinese takeaway counter in the cafeteria, leaving Brett with Monica at the large table.