7. Twoset Tutoring III (Brett's voice? 2)

Belle grinned and handed her brother's bubble tea back.

"Thank you, Belle."

"For what?"

"For giving my bubble tea back.. and for making me realise something important."

------------------------------------

Back at home in his bedroom, sitting at his little study desk, Eddy was so annoyed with himself.

He felt really bad about what he had said to Brett.

I told him to speak at a normal volume.

The poor guy must get that all the time.

Eddy leaned back into the backrest of his chair and gazed up towards the ceiling. He was annoyed that he won't have an opportunity to apologise to Brett till the following weeks' maths tutoring lesson.

Or so he thought.

The next day was Saturday and Eddy excitedly got out of his mother's car as he was brought to the music hall where the first gathering of his youth orchestra was about to take place. He walked into the community music hall where they were meeting up. He smiled looking up at the top of the stage and saw all the chairs placed in an orchestral arrangement.

Then he noticed Brett sitting in the front row of the audience!

"Brett...!?"

Eddy stepped up to him as Brett raised his gaze. His expression looked neutral.

"Hi Brett. Nice to see you."

Brett's lips lightly parted. Eddy took one extra step closer.

"I beg your pardon, Brett?"

Eddy took the seat next to Brett and listened intently.

"Hi Eddy, good to see you, too."

Eddy smiled.

It seemed all the other students around Brett had given up too early. Eddy had very good hearing, which was probably why he "worked it out" so quickly, that in fact Brett could hear and answer back, it's just that those around him couldn't pick up the sound! And it was narrow-minded of Eddy to tell Brett to "speak at a normal volume" when for whatever reason, Brett's volume must have been "normal" for him.

"Brett, I wanted to apologise for saying something so stupid to you yesterday. About asking you to speak at a normal volume.. this is your normal, right?"

Brett looked at Eddy in surprise. He then broke out into a smile. His lips parted again. Eddy listened intently again.

"Thank you, Eddy. That means a lot to me."

Eddy smiled as he nodded.

"Brett, I can hear you. I just need a bit more practice, if you would please be patient with me."

Brett smiled and nodded back.

It was time for the orchestral practice to begin. After the director of the orchestra introduced herself and the new members of the year, including Brett and Eddy, she invited everyone to the stage and announced the allocation of seats.