29. Twoset Choreographers III

Brett stood at the entrance of the garage at Eddy's house, mouth agape, amazed.

"Just stay here Brett and watch your step.. the light switch is over on the opposite wall, I'll go and switch it on."

Eddy turned on the torch app on his phone and stepped into the garage.

"F*ck Eddy, I can't even see the opposite wall from here. Just exactly how many cars were meant to fit into this garage? And how come you don't have a light switch over here at the entrance of your garage??"

Eddy shrugged as he kept walking into the garage.

"Mmm I dunno, 4 cars? Maybe 6? You only can't see cos it's dark, it's not that big. But yeah having no light switch where you are, at the entrance of the garage is an epic design failure.  I normally enter the garage from the inside of the house.  But hey, dancing on the concrete floor used to suck big time but it's been done up with spongy floor mats and a couple of nice speakers were installed recently to help me prepare for the competition so it's a pretty good practice room now."

Eddy replied ever so matter-of-factly as he turned on the lights and the whole practice room was lit up. Vinyl mats on the floor, speakers installed in brackets on the wall. One wall was covered with mirror tiles and a grand piano in the corner.

Brett stepped inside the practice room, looking around in astonishment.

"...Are you kidding? Man, I'd kill to have a place like this to use."

"Well knock yourself out, Brett. Here, you can Bluetooth connect your music to those speakers."

"Okay.."

Brett dumped his bag in the corner and stepped into the middle of the practice room with his phone in his hand.

"So.. Eddy, you didn't install barres?"

Eddy furrowed his eyebrows.

"Huh? You mean ballet bars? What for?"

Brett burst out laughing. Seeing him laughing, Eddy pouted indignantly.

"Why are you laughing Brett?"

"I.. I'm sorry Eddy.. I didn't mean to be rude. I guess I'm just too old school.. I've never been in a dance studio without barres on the side walls."

"I do have a portable one in the storeroom.. Mum bought it for me, I could bring it out for you if you like?"

"Yeah? Sounds great."

What the f*ck??

"Eddy.. when you said you could bring out your portable barre for me.. I thought you meant you could go and wheel it over? I was NOT expecting you to DRAG the f*ckin' thing still in its ORIGINAL PACKAGING!?"

Eddy pouted indignantly again.

"But Brett, I didn't say I use it, did I!?"

Brett shook his head in disbelief.

"So why won't you use it?!"

"I wouldn't know how to.. It's only as good as a clothes hanger for me."

Brett cringed.

"You're f*ckin' kidding me, right?"

Eddy stared at Brett helplessly.

Brett grimaced as he slowly came to an unbelievable realisation;

"Eddy? Have you ever done any barre exercises?"

Eddy sighed.

"No. I told you I was self-taught and I have not done an ounce of ballet lessons."

Brett grimaced.

But classical ballet dancers aren't the only ones that do barre exercises..!!

Brett decided not to speak his mind and kept his response short and simple.

"Oh."

"Besides, I struggle to see the point of doing barre exercises, Brett"

Brett raised an eyebrow. He had to restrain himself from twitching or cringing.

"Look, since I'm old school I find that comment quite sacrilegious. Eddy, you've got to believe me when I say there are benefits in doing barre exercises..."

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

Brett shrugged, then raised his arm forward. The simple act of raising his arm, leading from the elbow, perfecting every single angle of the joints in his arm and fingers made the simple act of an arm extension to be something so beautiful.

"Oh, y'know, like develop exceptional control over your body for beautifully precise moves with control.."

Eddy rolled his eyes.

"Okay, okay, I get it. You don't have to shower me with your verbal daggers."

Brett furrowed his brows.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You've heard what the other dancers have said about me before? One look at me dancing would make any old school dancer cringe."

Brett stared at Eddy sternly.

"Eddy, I've never cringed at you when you are dancing. Neither has Karin Anderson. She thought your moves were interesting and I agree with her."

Eddy looked at Brett anxiously and bit his lower lip. In an attempt to change the subject from an awkward moment, Eddy stammered;

"Um.. maybe you should start your music, Brett."

Brett nodded and swiped his phone to find his music.

As the intro of Brett's assigned song came through the speakers, Brett repeatedly tapped his volume button to make the music LOUD. He turned to Eddy and shouted.

"Is this okay?! Your mum's not gonna mind?!"

Eddy shrugged as he yelled back.

"Nah. This is nothing. She'd be wondering why I'm playing my music so quietly today!!"

Brett widened his eyes in surprise as he quickly loosened himself up in preparation to move with the music as soon as the tune of the first verse was to hit him. He positioned himself directly under the speakers so that he could feel the full blast of the music.

As Brett moved, he caught in the corner of his eye, Eddy moving as well.

As Karin had said, they were iNtErEsTiNg moves.

Brett struggled to come up with any other expression.

When Brett's musical piece had finished, instead of hitting replay, Brett paused his music and asked Eddy;

"..How were you moving just then, Eddy?"

Eddy blushed;

"Um.. in an.. anti-Brett way..?"

Brett raised an eyebrow.

"A what??"

Eddy bit his lower lip.

"Um.. I was just experimenting with movements that are the opposite to what I'd imagined you might do."

Brett furrowed his brows.

"...I must admit I probably would not have come up with moves like the ones you've just done.  But this I MUST see properly. Eddy, would you mind if I recorded us?"

Eddy shrugged so Brett set up his phone to record.

"Eddy, can you play the music from your phone please?"

"Okay."

The intro of the music started.  Brett smirked in anticipation.

"..Show me your best anti-Brett, Eddy."