14. Twoset Tutoring VI (Brett's voice!) - bonus chapter

A/N: Here is a bonus chapter for the Brett's voice story in the Twoset Tutoring series. I hope you enjoy it.

-----------------------------------------

It's been just over a year since Eddy first met Brett in Maths tutoring, followed by meeting again at the youth orchestral practice the very next day. They had quickly become very close friends.

Eddy initially struggled with anxiety when his maths tutor thought Eddy had started talking to himself because Brett's voice was so soft and inaudible whenever the two were enjoying a conversation. The misunderstanding upset Eddy, as it felt like his friend's existence was ignored when he was someone important to him.  But Eddy had since grown more confident and by now no longer got shaken by such misunderstandings. His peer who initially dared Eddy to go talk to Brett was equally baffled and would not believe Eddy.

"What the f*ck do you mean you can hear him?"

"Just as I said, I can hear him.  We talk to each other all the time. He's really nice."

"Oh my god Eddy, are you sure you haven't just made up an imaginary friend?"

"What the f*ck? He's no imaginary friend, he's right there y'know!"

After their peer walked away, Eddy heard Brett's voice.

"Eddy, please don't get angry."

Eddy sighed.

"I'm not angry, Brett. I'm just disappointed."

"Of what, Eddy?"

"That people don't get to know you."

Know how great you are.

"Don't worry Eddy, it's their loss."

Eddy cast his eyes on Brett. Brett grinned. Eddy grinned back.

"It sure is Brett."

It sure bloody is.

And the best thing from all of this is that I get to have you all to myself.

Eddy blushed on his own thoughts.

"S, so Brett, were you always like this? Have people around you always struggled to hear you?"

"No.. only since I turned.. 13 or so?"

"Oh my god.. you've been like this for two years? That must have not been easy.. do you know why?"

"..I think I've been like this since the onset of my voice breaking, my voice just went really soft. I've been told by specialists to expect an improvement once my voice settles.. y'know, complete its transition."

"Hmm"

"So next time you hear my voice a bit louder and clearer, it will be lower."

"Hmm"

Eddy was 14 and Brett 15. In recent months there have been telltale signs of Eddy's voice breaking with the occasional octave jumps among the raspiness of his voice. Brett, on the other hand, having such a soft voice, it just dawned on Eddy that he had never paid attention to the pitch of his friend's voice. It was indeed soft, raspy and high.