11. Twoset Gap Moe II

Eddy was so full, he was about to burst. The food was delicious but there was so much of it! And yet he was able to eat just the amount he wanted. Well, perhaps a little bit more than what he should've eaten since everything was so delicious. But once they started tucking into the delicious meal, Eddy soon realised he didn't have to stress out about finishing all the food on the table.

Eddy could not believe the volume of food Brett was able to put away into his compact frame. And he wasn't being a pig either. Brett had beautiful table manners as he put small mouthfuls into his mouth and happily savoured it. It was nice seeing someone enjoy their food so much. Brett was also engaged in the conversation that went on between the two. He asked Eddy whether he'd travelled anywhere for his music and listened intently to the stories of the masterclasses Eddy had attended within and outside of Australia. Brett also shared interesting stories of where he'd travelled to for his music career. At the same time somehow Brett was able to magically make a ridiculous amount of food disappear from the table.

Eddy had always thought he could put away a substantial amount of food but his dinner companion of tonight had put him to complete shame. Eddy thought he managed to eat about a third of what was on the table. Meanwhile, Brett ate the rest, which worked out to be two thirds of what was there, so Brett would have eaten twice as much as Eddy!

Brett put down his chopsticks and let out a satisfied sigh.

"Have you had enough food, Eddy?"

"Yes, most definitely, thank you. What about you Brett?"

"Yeah, I'm good."

"Are you sure? Please don't stop eating on my account."

Brett gazed at Eddy and smiled.

"I'm honestly good. Thanks for not making a big deal out of it Eddy, I appreciate it."

Eddy furrowed his brows.

"What, are you talking about how much you ate? I.. I guess you've surprised quite a few people in the past?"

Brett blushed.

"Um.. no.. oh well, um, yeah I suppose there's been ..a few people I've surprised in the past. Not that many."

Eddy tilted his head in question.

"Just a few?"

Brett blushed and stammered;

"Um.. um.. yeah."

Eddy didn't understand why the sudden loss of confidence and the show of shyness.

"Well, to be honest, you've surprised me a lot too, but they've all been pleasant surprises."

Brett blushed even more.

"Um.. thanks."

Eddy raised an eyebrow.

"What for?"

Brett stammered;

"Oh, um.. well.. because.. I sometimes get worried that some people might find me weird."

Eddy chuckled.

"I don't find you weird, Brett."

Eddy insisted he'd pay half the bill which Brett insisted back that he shouldn't. They finally agreed that they'd go halves for the dinner bill, then go for a coffee and dessert afterwards which Brett would shout to even things about a bit.  Eddy was happy knowing he could spend a bit more time with Brett.  After all, the night was still quite early, albeit he knew they couldn't have a very late night since they both needed to be at work tomorrow.  And it was Eddy's official first day tomorrow, too, so he didn't want to make a bad impression by showing up dishevelled and sleep deprived. 

They left the restaurant and walked up the quiet backstreet of the small Chinatown. A young man slowly stepped out in front of them.

"You guys got any cash?"

Eddy widened his eyes. Brett on the other hand, calmly and seamlessly replied;

"We were just about to go buy us a drink.. here you can have this."

He had a $20 note in his hand.

The man snatched the $20 note from Brett's hand then turned towards Eddy ;

"What about you?"

"Sorry mate, it was my shout, he doesn't have any money on him."

Brett slowly stepped in front of Eddy as he spoke;

"..What have you guys got on your backs?"

Brett looked over his shoulder and let out a chuckle.

"This? Oooh, y'know.. just a couple of MK48s"

The young man was amused with Brett's reply.

"F*ck. Yeah right."

Brett chuckled back.

"Hahaha, yeah right. Good night, mate. Have a good one."

Brett gently grabbed Eddy's hand and walked briskly away.

Once they made it back to the busy street, Brett let go of Eddy's hand.

"Eddy, you alright?"

"Um.. yeah.. why'd you do that?"

"He.. he had a bulge in his jacket pocket where his hand was.. he could've had a knife on him.. I didn't want to risk it."

Eddy's eyes shot open in surprise.

"He did ?!"

"Yeah. I don't like fighting.. in case I injure my hands"

"Geez Brett, I don't like fighting.. in case I injure myself all over...!!"

Brett let out a chuckle.

"Yeah, that. True."