25. Twoset Gloved X

Monica smiled.

"..I'm sorry for even suggesting my idea Brett. I'm envious you've found someone worth facing your challenges for."

Monica got up from her chair and waved to the two young men and left the uni cafeteria.

---------------------------------------

Eddy stood speechless next to Brett. Brett looked up towards him.

"Um.. Eddy?"

"Y, yeah?"

"Would you like to sit down?"

"But.. I'm supposed to go order lunch..."

"Forget about lunch for a moment"

"But.. I just found out that you don't like mushrooms either.."

Brett smiled.

"Eddy, please sit down."

"Um.. okay?"

Eddy sat in the seat next to Brett.

"So, um.. Brett, I.. I think something just happened.. but I'm not sure what exactly."

Brett grinned.

"Yeah, I thought something happened, too."

Eddy furrowed his brows.

"So.. Monica's idea was...?"

"..for me to take the easy path with her."

"Yeah I heard that bit.. What exactly did she mean by that?"

"She asked me if she and I could become a couple to keep our mother's off our backs. And have each other.. someone who would understand each other's conditions. And together live a somewhat more normal-looking life."

"Oh."

Eddy didn't like that idea at all.  If that was what was gonna "happen", he was definitely not gonna be happy about that. Ordinarily, hearing something this unpleasant would've brought up gastric juices to Eddy's mouth.  But somehow the unpleasantness managed to stay at the pit of Eddy's stomach. Only because he knew there was a bit more to the story, as Brett proved by continuing to speak;

"But Eddy, you heard what I said back to her, didn't you? I said I'd rather take the crazy and challenging path with you than the easy path with her.

A smile emerged from the corners of Eddy's lips.

"..I thought I heard that.. but I .. wasn't sure. ..I thought I was dreaming."

Brett shook his head.

"You weren't dreaming, Eddy."

"..Maybe you should pinch me to make sure."

"W, what?"

"You can, can't you?"

"N.. no, I'm sorry Eddy, I can't touch you and besides, I'd feel too guilty..."

"Why? You've got gloves on?"

"I don't want to hurt you, Eddy."

"Geez Brett, you're not gonna hurt me just by pinching my cheeks. I could even show you if you let me."

"What? Oh f*ck, Eddy, this is ridiculous."

Eddy grinned;

"Well, it's all part of the crazy and challenging life you wanted to walk with me, Brett"