30. Twoset Choreographers IV

What the f*ck.

"...Eddy, this is so messed up. Just how on earth did you do this?"

"Do what?"

"Oh c'mon Eddy, don't play dumb. This anti-Brett thing.. !!."

Brett was looking at the video recording of Eddy and himself dancing back to back. Eddy peered in from the side to look at Brett's phone screen with him. Eddy had come up with choreography which perfectly complemented Brett's moves. How was that possible?

"Hey that looks pretty good."

Brett scoffed and rolled his eyes."

"Yeah no kidding!?!?"

"What do you mean, Brett?"

"I mean it looks too f*cking great."

Eddy bit his lip and cast his eyes downwards.

Brett shook his head in an attempt to refocus.

"Okay, Eddy, backing up a bit. For starters, how the heck did you work out how I move?"

Eddy bit his lower lip.

"Um.."

"Yeah?"

"Um..."

"...Eddy?"

It appeared as if Eddy needed to muster up some courage to come clean with his secret;

"...Youtube. Our studio's Youtube channel. You're the most featured dancer out of all the dancers from our studio"

Brett nodded.

"Okay.. I suppose I may be .. since I'm one of the more experienced dancers here. So.. how long have you been watching me on Youtube?"

Eddy blushed.

"I.. I've been a fan of the way you dance for a couple of years. I stumbled across our dance studio's youtube channel and I liked the way you moved. In fact, that's the reason why I enrolled in Karin Anderson's workshop and ended up joining your dance studio..

Brett nodded.

"Okay.. So.. you've worked out how I move?"

Eddy shook his head as he stammered.

"Oh, no.. no way, you change things around so much...I've barely worked out anything about how you dance.. but it's obvious that I've got no chance in hell to dance like you, which is why I try to dance the moves that complement your moves. I try to focus on making your movements as visually pleasing as a pair rather than trying to dance like you and fail."

"Will you show me again? With another song?"

Eddy blushed.

"Oh my f*cking god. Impromptu? Just like that?  What kinda evil spirit are you!? At least with the song we just danced to, I've tried putting some steps together with it.. but completely impromptu, no way, I'll just butcher it all up..! "

"Why do I get the feeling that you won't?? Oh c'mon Eddy, please??"

"No.."

"Please Eddy, I'm intrigued."

Eddy clamped his face with his hands and groaned. He then shook his head before he looked at Brett.

"Okay, but look, for the record, I really respect you and how you dance Brett. So please don't get offended when I try this and completely screw it up."

"Oookay..? I mean, of course."

The video camera (Brett's phone) was positioned to film the duo from the side, showing the two standing back to back at the start of the music.

Brett shook his head in disbelief.

"Eddy, I don't understand. Can you explain this to me, why are you moving in sync with me when you can't even see me from where you're standing.. look at this, the camera wasn't in selfie mode, we're standing back to back and so there is no way you could've seen me in the camera or mirror from your angle?"

"No I can't. And it didn't matter, cos I wasn't looking at you,"

Brett rolled his eyes,

"Yeah, I gathered that. I mean unless you've got eyes on the back of your head, there was no way you could've seen what I was doing from your position. And yet when we look at this video, it looks like someone like Karin Anderson had choreographed our dance as a pair. Look how we moving.. we're almost perfectly synchronised. We're dancing as a pair. How is this possible?"

Eddy replied shyly;

"..We must interpret music in a similar way... or ..."

"Or?"

"Or to be more precise, I managed to guess how you would move and came up with choreo that would complement those moves."

Brett let out a chuckle.

"Eddy, you make it sound so bloody simple. Are my moves that predictable?"

Eddy's eyes shot open in horror.

"N, noooo! Absolutely not!! Brett, please, you gotta believe me when I say that I've been a big fan of you for a bit over than a couple of years since this dance studio started to upload videos of their dancers..!"

"Eddy, I'm flattered but that still doesn't answer my question. Just take a look at this bit. This is the part that's my favourite. Have a look at our arms, Eddy. Right on cue. And I started on an off-beat as well and you seemed to have caught onto that, too. I don't start on an off-beat that often, do I? And how did we end up drawing an arc with our arms at the same tempo, same angle..?? And the movements are so.. complimentary.. I did this little arc and you're drawing your enormous arc behind me, it looks incredible."

"I think you start on an offbeat when there are lyrics in the song. You're used to dancing to instrumental pieces and you must process songs with lyrics a different way when you dance to it."

"Really!?"

"Yeah. And the arc thing was quite intuitive, knowing your arcs will be tight and beautiful, I would not have stood a chance trying to do the same thing, so I took advantage of my long arms, hoping the contrast would make an interesting picture."

"Well, it certainly did.. wow, you've got such good intuition and an ability to work out what to do so quickly.. talk about coming up with stuff on the spot."

"I might have a knack for that.. it was the only thing going for me for any chance of me winning that competition. I don't have the grace and flow of movements that you have that can only be acquired by years and years of practice.."

"But with such a short time of dance experience, you sure know how to stir things around Eddy.."

...And I knew he was gonna stir things around the minute I saw him.

A/N:  This completes the short story of "Twoset Choreographers".  I hope you enjoyed the story and I thank you for the support I received for this series.