6. Twoset Tutoring II (Brett's voice?)

Unrelated to the first episode of Twoset Tutoring in my first "What if I ain't no Violinist", this is another scenario of their first meet.

---------------------------------

"He doesn't talk."

"Why not?"

"Dunno. I go to the same school as the guy but I'm not kidding, no one's ever heard him say anything. It's a bit creepy"

"Oh c'mon that's a bit rough."

"Well Eddy, you try then. Go and speak to him. You might win a medal if you can get him to say anything back."

13 year old Eddy was dared by his friend to go talk to one of the students in his maths tutoring class who didn't seem to utter a word. Eddy was told that the boy's name was Brett.

"Hi Brett. I'm Eddy. You mind if I sit here?"

Brett looked up. Their eyes met. Eddy thought he had a nice face; strong eyebrows and kind eyes. Watching his face carefully, Eddy noticed that Brett's lips parted ever so slightly, but there was no verbal reply. Brett did however shake his head.

Eddy furrowed his brows.

He shook his head, which means "no", but what that actually would've meant was "no, he doesn't mind if I sit here", right?

"..So it is okay that I sit here, Brett?"

This time Brett nodded.

Eddy let out a sigh of relief and smiled.

"Oh okay, that's great. Thanks."

Eddy put down his backpack on the chair next to where Brett was sitting. He zipped opened his backpack and started taking out his study materials such as his notebook, laptop and pen. While he was doing this, he kept talking to Brett.

"So how long have you been coming to this tutoring school? I just started here today..."

Once Eddy zipped up his backpack, he placed it on the back of his chair and sat down. He turned to look at Brett, wondering why he hadn't heard any reply as yet. His eyes met Brett's. Again, he was looking at him, with his lips ever so slightly parted.

Utter silence.

Eddy furrowed his brows.

"Can.. you.. talk, Brett?"

Brett bit his lower lip, tensed up and looked away. He visibly looked upset. Eddy quickly stammered;

"Brett. I.. I'm sorry. I just didn't hear you say anything I thought maybe you had difficulty talking or something..?"

Brett stood up from his chair and walked off.

"Brett...!"

Eddy felt awful. The last thing he wanted to do was upset Brett. He quickly got out of his chair and went after Brett. Eddy's head spun as he frantically tried to work out what to say to him.

"Look, maybe I could help you with your problem.."

No that's no good, I shouldn't assume he has a problem, that's rude.

"Look, I don't care if you can't talk.."

Oh god no, that sounds so condisending or patronising.

"Brett...!"

Eddy hurried over to the bubbler where Brett was taking a drink.

Brett stopped drinking and looked at Eddy who stammered.

"Look, Brett, I'm sorry, I was rude."

Eddy saw Brett part his lips.

Eddy took a step closer.

"I beg your pardon, Eddy?"

"That's okay, I'm used to it."

It was barely audible. But it was Brett's voice.

"I.. I'm sorry Brett, are you able to speak up to a normal volume?"

Brett bit his lower lip, tensed up and looked away again. This time he didn't look upset, but disappointed. He gave one glance back at Brett, then walked away back towards the tutoring room.

"I mean, it was so difficult to hear him...!"

"Really, Eddy."

"Yeah, Belle. I'm serious."

It was after tutoring and Eddy had met up with his elder sister Belle at the nearby shopping centre to grab a bubble tea. Well, a bubble tea for Eddy since he was such a bubble tea enthusiast. Belle prefered her double shot espresso. Luckily they were sitting in a food court that had shops that served both bubble teas and coffees.

Belle sipped her coffee.

".. Okay, so what happened next?"

"Well.. he just ignored me for the whole lesson."

"Hmm. I can't blame him."

Eddy let out an exasperated sigh.

"Like, why can't he just talk at a normal volume..."

Belle furrowed her brows.

"..What's normal?"

"Oh c'mon sis, you know what I mean by normal?"

Belle reached out her hand and snatched the bubble tea from her little brother's hand.

"Hey! What are you doing? Give it back!"

"Y'know Eddy, I think I should ban you from drinking these from now on"

"W, what?! Why?"

"I think you're having too many of these. You're having them like 3 times a week."

"Oh c'mon Belle, I really like them! I'm not a coffee freak as you are."

"Look bro, I hear a lot of people drink multiple cups of coffee per day. You know, as I do. But bubble teas?! C'mon, having them multiple times a week isn't normal."

"Oh what !? What makes you think I'm not normal?? It's normal for me!?"

Belle gave Eddy a stern stare.

Eddy's jaw dropped.

"Oh..."

Belle raised an eyebrow. Eddy stammered.

"I.. I get it now."

Belle grinned and handed her brother's bubble tea back.

"Thank you, Belle."

"For what?"

"For giving my bubble tea back.. and for making me realise something important."