13. Twoset Gap Moe IV

"Eddy?"

It was the conductor calling out.

Eddy looked up.

"Y, yes..!"

"That sounded great. You blended right in."

"Thank you."

Eddy managed a smile back as he received many of them from his surrounding string players, including Brett, the concertmaster.

One look or more precisely "listen" at the concertmaster doing what he obviously did best at the start of the rehearsal was all it took for Eddy. From the moment he shook hands with those delicate, soft and beautiful hands, Eddy'd been dying to listen to how the concertmaster would play his instrument and he sure did not disappoint. Now, all Eddy wanted to do was blend his sound with Brett's. Eddy was so focused on listening, micro-adjusting and fine-tuning his playing to match that of Brett's, he was exhausted by the end of the rehearsal. But with his trained ears, he knew exactly how he sounded and was very happy with the result.

With a compliment like that from the conductor, Eddy relaxed a bit and grimaced as he suppressed a yawn. He didn't get much sleep the night before after the iNtErEsTiNg evening he had with Brett.

An avid manga reader and anime viewer, Eddy knew there was a word to describe what he was smitten with.

Gap moe.

It's when a character appears adorable or attractive for showing characteristics or behaviour that is something completely contradictory to what their usual habits, personality, character, or appearance dictates. The "gap" refers to the "contradiction". Or more precisely, the "drop" from the expectations held from their visual to what they are actually like in reality.

When viewed through the lens of the traditional stereotypes associated with classical musicians, Brett was riddled with such contradictions, making him very intriguing, or such a moe character, though Eddy was too embarrassed to be caught with having such thoughts, especially by Brett.

From his agility that surprised Eddy when Brett jumped down from the stage when they first met in the auditorium, to the most delicate, soft and beautiful hands Eddy had ever seen or felt when they shook hands. Brett's hands were on the smaller side as well, yet the coverage he had over his fingerboard and the beautiful sounds he produced from his violin with those hands.

His shy smile yet the solidity he exhibited as a leader. His smaller frame yet the incredible physical strength he exhibited.

His easy-going manner when he invited Eddy to join him for a meal last evening, how accommodating he was with the way he ordered, the fact that they both despised mushrooms, the engagement he showed during the conversations that took place while he also wholeheartedly enjoyed his meals. The way he really REALLY enjoyed his food.

The street smart sass he exhibited on two occasions, once when a guy asked them for money with a potential knife threat and the time at the convenience store. Knowing how to diffuse situations with wit and humour, both times making sure he was protecting Eddy, shielding him from any possible dangers.

Liking his drinks and desserts super sweet.

And of course, looking so much younger than his actual age.

He was so something else, so many times over.

"..Eddy?"

"Y..yeah?!"

"You're not packing up? Are you feeling okay?"

"What..? Oh. Sorry I was.. miles away."

Brett let out a chuckle. There were only the two of them left in the auditorium. Brett was already wiping down his violin, almost ready to put it away.

"No kidding."

"Was I just sitting here completely out of it?"

"You were sort of robotically saying goodbye to everyone."

"Oh no."

Embarrassed, Eddy quickly got up out of his seat and moved off stage where his violin case was. He brought it back with him on stage and placed it on his chair to put his violin away.

"..So Brett, you don't have to put away the chairs today?"

"No, yesterday was just a bit unfortunate, we usually don't have to."

"Oh, I didn't think yesterday was particularly unfortunate."

"You didn't? Are you just talking about the chairs or.. the whole evening?"

Eddy looked up. Brett was staring at him.

"Um.. both."

Brett grinned.

"Are you sure about that? You almost did your back in when you tried to lift those heavy chairs. We may have been mugged at knifepoint.. and a drunk guy was about to attack us in a convenience store too.. it was a pretty eventful night. So much so that.. I was worried you may not want to join me for dinner anymore."

"What..? When?"

"Well.. how about tonight, again?"

"Sure."

Brett's eyes widened in surprise.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, of course. Why not?"

"I thought you may have become sick of all these weird things happening when you're with me."

"Well I kinda did wonder why they were.. but my knight in shining armour never failed me, so I'm okay with it."

Their eyes met and Brett gave a shy smile.

"Thanks Eddy. Um.. by the way, just so you know, it doesn't happen with everyone."

"..I beg your pardon?"

"2 days ago I couldn't lift 2 chairs."

Eddy furrowed his brows in disbelief.

"No way."

Brett started to stammer.

"I.. I can tell I like someone when I.. suddenly become much stronger than I usually am."

"Oh wow."

"And I get this enormous appetite when I have a meal with them."

"Oh."

Eddy blushed.

"And I become rather bold and brave in front of them."

"Mhm."

Eddy blushed some more.

"And.. the... drinks.."

"Drinks?"

"You said that I was in the mood for a hot and sweet drink?"

"Yeah..?"

"That's how I like... them."

"Them?"

"You.  Hot and sweet."

Eddy didn't think he could blush anymore but he did.

A/N: That's the end of the 4 parts short story of Twoset Gap Moe, I hope you enjoyed it!!