Chapter 19

So this chapter is pretty light compared to the other ones. There's a major shift in character for in this chapter and maybe you'll notice it, maybe you won't. 

For those who don't remember, Frankie is Ashley's cousin. Just to clear up any confusion before I start on this chapter. ((: I am hoping to finish this book before the end of August but I guess we'll never know. 

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. 

.

.

.

Chapter 19

A little boy walked up the stairs. 

In his left hand, he carried a beaten teddy bear that he had ever since birth while his right clutched onto the banister. His little slippers squeaked with every step that he took up the chairs. With his eyes downcast, watching his feet to avoid any more accidents.

The yellings got louder. Every step that he took amplified what had been going on in the house for the past five hours. They didn't seem to be going away any time soon if anything, it kept getting worse and worse.

The boy stopped and closed his eyes. He dropped the bear and it tumbled down the stairs. He covered both of his ears with his hands and sat down on the steps. He shook his head, tears dripping down his face with every sound.

"Momma." He whimpered. He hugged his knees to his chest and began to rock his body back and forth. His body yearned for someone to wrap their arms around him and tell him everything will be okay. But there is no one.

A door slammed open and then everything became silent, a sound that became louder than that of the two yelling voices. Everything became calm again but he knew. There is always a calm before the storm.

The little boy uncovered his ears. He stood up and stared up into the third floor. 

A woman came out of the door, looking down at the ground. Fear crept into his body seeing red blotches on the white silk dress of the woman. Her hair seemed as though it hadn't been washed or brushed in three days and her eyes had big bags lining up. 

She looked down at him.

"Momma?" he whispered.

She smiled at him but there had been nothing warm about that smile. She looked like a snake, ready to jump at an unsuspecting mouse. Her tongue swiped across her lips and she sat down at the top of the stairs. "Come here baby. Momma needs to talk to you."

The boy shook his head and took a step backwards. His hands gripped the banister turning his knuckles white. "Where's papa?"

The woman laughed, throwing her head back. "Oh baby. You don't need to worry about papa anymore," she looked deep into his eyes, her lips curling up into a evil smile, "he's gone."

Tears dripped down the boy's face and fear crept into his body. He had never seen her this way before and it scared him. "Momma you're scaring me."

The woman took one step down. And then another. And then another. "You have nothing to be scared of sweetheart. Momma is here. Momma will protect you."

He shook his head again. "Where's papa? I want papa."

Her smile disappeared and in its place, laid an icy glare. "You do not need your papa." she smiled again. "All you need is me." she walked faster down the step.

He cried. "I want papa." he turned around and ran down the stairs, his heart beating in his chest. Halfway down, he lost his balance and banged his head on the edge.