Volume I- Save My Soul: 1| magoa•

"Now you understand why Peter Pan didn't want to grow up." —uk.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Here With Me' by Dido.

•·················•·················•

Amelia: 2015

"When is papa coming back, Amie?"

I glanced over at my seven-year-old brother, snot smeared beneath his nose as he peered up at me with vibrant brown eyes, ones a clear mirror of mine.

I pursed my lips and wounded my arm around his thin body, pulling him into my side. "Soon, Adam, soon."

I had no idea how to tell my little brother that our father was never coming home again. Not later, not soon, not ever. Because he was six feet under and had been for over a month. I was only ten and being left alone with Adam was too much of a burden to bear. But the fat lady who smelled of ripe strawberries promised we'd be alright soon. That's why we were sitting in this smelly building, with telephones ringing every two seconds and people in white collars gawking at us as though we were beggars. They brought me a new dress and Adam a new pair of shoes, telling us to sit well and behave ourselves. As if two broken and sad children would disrupt the environment. The lung cancer that ate away at our father left us alone and desolate, having to rely on the state to eat our meals.

The large mahogany doors to the building opened, noises from the busy metropolitan city filtering through the office. A man in a Panama hat, a tall black coat, and a brown cane stepped into the room, a lady who was a few inches taller than him following close behind. Her heels clicked against the ceramic floors as her icy eyes scoured the room. I pulled Adam closer when the woman's gaze landed on us, a brief look of displeasure appearing on her face.

The fat lady, who promised us happiness, stood quickly from the front desk with a bright smile molding her thin lips. Her broad hips swayed at each step she took toward the two prestigious people. "Mr. and Mrs. McKay, thank you for coming on time. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"No, thanks," the woman waved her hand, "where is she?"

"They." The man with the cane corrected. "It's a boy and a girl."

"There they are." The front desk lady motioned to us, and I squeezed my brother tighter, hating the way the tall lady was looking at us. As the man was about to leap forward, she dug her long red nails into his clothed arm.

"Kai? You didn't tell me there was a boy too."

"Yes." He looked back at her, nostrils flaring a bit. "Mr. May had two children."

"No, I am sorry. I already have three boys." The woman, Mrs. McKay said. "I won't take them."

Take them? Fear welled in my stomach at those words, and my brother looked up at me with innocent confusion. I smiled down at him, trying to tell him that everything was okay. But I wasn't so sure of that myself.

"Meredith. You promised not to make a fuss out of this." Mr. McKay spoke. "Mr. May was a loyal worker of mine, and I promised him I'd take care of his children when he passes away."

I instinctively placed my palms over my brother's ears.

"He's now dead, and I have to keep my promise; they have no one. You know Mr. May had no relatives."

Mrs. McKay sighed and shook her head. "Are we garbage bins? To just clean up everyone's junk?"

"Meredith." He hardened his glare.

"Fine. Do what you want, Kai. But just know that if this backfires, I won't help you clean up your mess."

"Thank you for accepting them."