27| sehnsucht•

"I was young but I wasn't naive. I watched helpless as you turned around to leave. And still I have the pain I have to carry. A past so deep that even you could not bury if you tried."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Blind' by Lifehouse.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Third Person

"What have you gathered for me, Mish?"

Kanan put his back to the wall with his hands pistoned into his pockets and a leg crossed over the other.

Mish glanced up and down the otherwise empty hallway in which they stood before she inched closer to him, grinning from the excitement of secrecy. "Well, quite a few things. He is—"

Kanan eased himself up and enclosed his ring-clad fingers around her tiny arm. Her big, blue eyes stared down at where he held her, a wide grin coating her face at the contact. She adored this boy more than words could proclaim. But it wasn't an affection one would deem as romantic. It was the kind of loyalty, as bad as this sounded, that a mutt would have towards his master. "Wait, Mish, let's talk inside here..."

He pulled her with him towards the door. Before her body passed through the sill, she caught a glimpse of a frowning Raquelle, the brunette Kanan had brought over earlier that day. She was scouring the hallway just outside of his room, and from the scowl she wore, it was evident that her search hadn't been going well. Mish chuckled at the thrill as he shut the door behind them and leaned his back against it.

He folded his arms and smiled a fraction. "Continue."

"Okay. So Ashton Rodrigo is fourteen, in the ninth grade, and he works for this small company called...mm." She wrinkled her button nose as she pondered on the name, then her eyes lit up. "Fast Delivery. He was adopted by Erwin Rodrigo and Kesha Smalls at the age of nine, and he—"

"Wait..." Kanan interrupted her, narrowing his eyes as he slowly uncoiled his arms. "He was adopted?"

"Yes. Erwin and Kesha aren't his real parents."

"Oh...and how did you gather this?" Kanan rubbed his chin in suspicion. "I hope you didn't do something dangerous, Mish."

She giggled as though he was silly and shook her head. "No, Kanan. I asked my uncle's best friend. He's a good man, you see. He says he knows Ashton's father, well, adopted father; that is."

"Oh..." Kanan sighed as his shoulders wilted. He fancied Mish too much to let anything happen to her. He had known her since she was eight, and now she was fifteen. He felt like she was a sister. Feeling care towards people was rare for the likes of him, but he felt as though Mish had earned her card. She was always willing, always loyal, and looked out for him in both big and small ways. Either way, she was such a pure gem. He liked that. Blood would spill if he were to learn that someone had hurt her. "What else have you found out?"