4| ikigai•

"Be brave, the waters all around you. I'll stay, I'll keep you from sinking down." —Britt Nicole.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Feel the Light' by Britt Nicole.

•·················•·················•

Amelia: 2015

"You dragged him with you to the pool, didn't you?" Meredith stood above me with eyes soaked in malice. I could see the hatred in her irises as she glowered at me.

I shook my head. "No, ma'am, I didn't—"

"Would you stop blaming her, Meredith?" Mr. McKay shook his head from behind her. "Khalil is twelve; he's older than her, he can make decisions for himself."

"As I thought." Meredith scoffed. "Amelia can do no wrong in your eyes. Your son is lying in bed with a fever and you're defending this spoiled brat. Are you listening to yourself, Kai?"

"Meredith, stop this nonsense." Mr. McKay roared. "I have had it with your selfishness. Amelia, go to bed."

I turned away to heed the instruction, but Meredith's hand groped my flimsy arm, dragging me back. "I am not done with her."

"No, she didn't do anything; let her go." Khalil's voice came from the top floor, and his mother released me and braced her waist. "Khalil, go back inside and get some rest."

I craned my neck to look up at him, and he stared at me, refusing to move.

"Go to bed, Khalil." His father implored, and I could feel my shoulder throbbing where Meredith had held me. "Amelia will be going to bed now."

"Don't hurt her; she didn't do anything."

"We won't. Go lay down."

Khalil looked at me again before he walked away, disappearing behind the wall. Meredith held her forehead and released a breath. "Go to bed, Amelia."

"Goodnight, Mr. and Mrs. McKay..." I said, and her husband's face softened. He closed his eyes and nodded.

"Goodnight, Amelia."

I turned away and walked the long staircase up to my room.

•·················•·················•

I couldn't stop the ball of worry that weighed on my chest after seeing Khalil in that state. I laid in bed that night with watery eyes, the rain on the outside beating against the windows, the lightning brightening the room temporarily, only to leave it in darkness again. I felt like it somehow triggered the bitterness I had stashed away in my heart. The loss of my family. It reignited all the demons that were hiding in the shadows, just waiting to come out. It was nice getting caught in the rain, but I hated thunderstorms, and on nights like this I'd snuggle closer to my dad. Another thunder rolled and I squeezed my eyes tightly, gripping the fabric of my pillow. Then a soft voice sounded in the gloom.

"Amelia."

I raised my head and looked to see a figure standing a few distances away, motionlessly. Then the silhouette tore out of the darkness, the raindrops on the glass reflecting on Khalil's face.

I pulled myself up in bed and tucked my legs underneath me as he lowered himself in front of me, the bed dipping as he did. "Khalil...are you okay now?"

"Yeah..." His voice was a whisper above the rain, and I found myself relaxing at the fact that I now had company. "I just couldn't sleep. Can I sleep here with you?"