23| mirk•

"These fields are gonna swallow you."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Fields' by Giveon.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Amelia

I knew what happened that night.

I saw everything.

The demented smile of my close friend, eyes red-rimmed and wild kept coasting across my head like a tattered boat left abandoned at the sea, and I stared off into the crackling flames of orange, flickers popping amidst the fat sticks that were thrown carelessly over the heap of roasting woods.

The voices around me were unclear and distant, the ones in my head somehow louder and clearer, and with my shoulders sagged and my legs folded underneath me, I blanked off into the blazing bonfire, the occasional burst of red only reminding me that sharing these thoughts with my adoptive brothers wouldn't be the right thing to do.

There was only one night I could think of that'd have my best friend looking like something from the underworld. It had to be that night, or for what other reason would she resemble a messenger from the devil? Whatever it was that she had been thinking about that evening had to be dark and spine-chilling. I saw how the green veins stood up in her paper-white neck, and how her once-pure eyes had become bloodshot and monstrous. I didn't think I was looking at my best friend at the time. No, she must have been possessed by some gruesome spirit. Jacob. Maybe Jacob borrowed her vessel.

Patently, I hadn't been the same since her indirect warning. My nightmares were recurring and I didn't want to sleep next to Khalil. In fact, I didn't want him near me at all. If she knew what I think she knew...all our lives could potentially be over. Not just the triplets, but mine too. Discernibly, I knew what she was trying to get across to me. It was loud and clear. Stay away from, Khalil. Or I'll tell on you all.

Now I couldn't tell what was more mentally burdensome: Matt spreading 'rumours' at Sade Rose Academy or Giselle hinting that she knew something big.

And I was obtuse to have thought that being here at this party, with an air reeked of tobacco and unhealthy exhaustion, addlepated kids kissing and laughing and grinding on each other behind the train tracks would null my overworking brain, but the dark trees and the coldness of the night only reminded me of Jacob Whitaker's death.

Here I was sitting next to Khalil like a passenger in my own body. I had been here first but not long after Lily, with her too-white teeth and healthily curled hair, had captured his hand and dragged him over to the spot beside me. Her giggles and flat jokes tugged me from my thoughts eventually, and only then did I notice that my bladder was throbbing. I earnestly needed to pee.

I glanced around me with twisted lips, noting that everyone was enjoying themselves except for yours truly. Even Keegan was getting around, though I could tell Kira was the only one jawing while he was only poker-facing ahead with eyes that read: please, shut up and leave me alone.