30| outré•

"Breathe, release it all. Come on now, I'll keep you warm."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Breathe' by Rhodes.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

Third Person

"Alright. Let's start with the easy questions first." Mr. Conard perched himself against the ridge of the table in the otherwise empty classroom. The clear disinterest of the three boys seated in front of him was almost palpable. He could tell they'd been sheltered their entire lives. Spotless skins, expensive loafers, and even the jewelry they wore on their fingers and wrists told him that they had never felt for anything a day in their lives.

Still, he could evidently see how arrogant the triplets were. The one in the middle, who was simpering and staring up at him silently, had to be the most conceited of the three. He was leaning back in the chair, a leg crossed over the other, hand poised at the side of his face while he rubbed his fingers together—almost like a wealthy businessman. His position screamed: speak, I'm listening. The one next to him with naturally arched eyebrows with the ends curved upwards had to be the troublemaker. Stereotypically, the small patch of brown band-aid beneath his penetrating eye told Conrad Conard all he needed to know. And then, there was the last boy. He was clearly lost in his own world as he stared out at the open window, the golden rays spilling through the open space and making it hard to construe his facial expression. But from the little Conrad was given, it was perceivable that he couldn't care less about this meeting.

"What are your full names?" The detective untangled his arms, sleeves rolled up at the elbows, and brought his notepad up, getting ready to scribble.

Silence.

The wind rushing through the trees by the window and the resonance of iron chairs scraping against tiles in the rooms next door were audible. But no sounds came from the four kids.

"Huh?" He peered up over the ball-point pen to see the cocky one in the middle, Kanan, smirking even brighter now.

Conrad sighed and pressed his hands into the table on either side of him. "Not answering will only make things harder for you guys; I can assure you. I'd suggest you cooperate with the investigation."

Khalil rolled his neck in annoyance and glanced over at Amelia who was staring blankly at the tiled flooring. Again, her small hand slowly went to the back of her neck as she scratched at the area, her complexion now blander than before. She was not okay, and it worried him. He hissed audibly and slid himself further down the bench, splaying his knees.

"I heard you guys weren't on the best terms with Matt Colton? And that just the other day rumours were going around that you tampered with his brakes?"

Silence.