29| qui vive•

"When did I become so numb? When did I lose myself? All the words that leave my tongue, feel like they came from someone else."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Paralyzed' by NF.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Third Person

Ashton stood on the cold pavement, lips pale from the freezing air, dead eyes fixed on the back of Kanan's head while he squatted in front of his bike.

"I think I need to change this tyre first. Looks out of air, doesn't it?"

His question hung in the air unanswered, and the sound of the harsh wind and vehicles on the outside road filled the stillness.

"Oh, a nail got caught in the rubber." Kanan lifted a single hand, his bracelets glimmering in the light as he said: "Could you please pass me that spanner?"

Ashton's jaw ticked at the request and without taking his eyes off the older boy, he took a step backwards and reached down for the tool from the red opened bag.

"Do you know which one it is, Ash?" Kanan blindly asked as he rubbed the bridge of his nose with a finger, his thoughtful eyes scouring his wheels, and at that moment two things had pissed Ashton off.

One: How dare he call him Ash as though they were acquainted? And two: It was an insult to doubt his knowledge of a spanner. If anyone should know what that was, it was him. His father did plenty of dirty work which oftentimes involved the tool, and Erwin sometimes used it as one of his disciplinary methods. Ashton had gotten hit in the head with the hard iron on numerous occasions. So who was this boy to ask him if he knew what it was?

The question somehow raised a new dose of anger within him, and he enclosed his thin, cold fingers around the edge of the iron, his eyes focused on Kanan's uneasy hair that was billowing in the breeze. His gaze darkened underneath his fogged-up glasses as he slowly stood upright, moving towards the older boy in what one would deem as a sinister way.

He approached him soundlessly, teeth grinding, jaw clenched. The air suddenly got colder, more still, and Kanan...felt it.

His eyes slid up over his bike, his lips pressing into a fine line. It was as though he had the ability to sense evil—something that wasn't unfamiliar to him. The quietness had provoked the air, creating a strange, gloomy shift. He was sure the sun had completely escaped the scene, not wanting to witness what Ashton was about to do.

Or...wanted to do, rather.

Kanan's lips tugged in a light smile, and he waited for Ashton to get closer, focusing on how the air moved behind him. And when the younger boy was near enough, he abruptly got up and turned to him.

Ashton stopped in his tracks, the folds and creases of his face smoothing out.

Kanan stared at him with faint amusement, and they maintained eye contact for what felt like hours. Then the older boy smiled wide and reached for the tool that Ashton was holding in an awfully strange manner.