8| sluagh•

"When I was young, I thought the world of you."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Don't Let Me Go' by Cigarettes After Sex.

•·················•·················•

Amelia: 2019

"Drink up, Adam. Don't you want to finish eating before papa gets home?"

"Look, Amie; I'm done!"

I ruffled my brother's hair as we sat on the dirty grey mat, two empty bowls with porridge smeared inside of it. Then the old board door creaked open and in stepped my dad, holding a white plastic bag with food.

"Papa!" Adam sprung up from the ground, the oversized grey shirt swooshing around his skinny legs. My father groaned as he scooped him up with one hand. "Ugh, my big man!"

With a wide grin, I got up and ran over to him, hugging him tightly around the waist as he smiled down at me. "My big girl..."

I snuggled into his side and closed my eyes, a tiny tear slipping from under my eyelid.

Something cold but soft pressed against the side of my face, then I felt moisture being smeared across my skin. My glassy eyes open to a blurry image of Khalil sitting at the edge of my bed.

"What were you dreaming about?" He asked quietly. "You were crying in your sleep..."

I stared at him before my brain started working again and I jerked upright, cautiously inching further away from him. I pulled my knees up to my chest as I glared at him.

"Wh-what are you doing in my room?"

"You left the door open." He gave a tight-lipped smile that appeared almost sad. My eyes dropped to the tray on his lap. "I thought I'd bring you some lunch. Madonna made roasted duck and green tea."

"I'm not hungry."

"You haven't been eating...look at your knees." He nodded toward me, and I slumped my gaze to them. They had gotten a little bonier in the space of a few hours. How was that even possible?

I pulled my lace dress over them.

"At least a taste of the tea." He raised the mug of liquid toward my mouth, and I stared at him emotionlessly.

"Amelia."

My hand rose to smack his wrist away, causing the hot tea to spill all over his black pants. His teeth clenched.

"I don't want it!"

He rolled his tongue at the corner of his mouth then flipped the tray off his lap, scattering its contents on the grey mat and adding to the mess already made. He stood up furiously and I cowered away when he glared at me.

"The fuck is your problem?" He sneered, and I leered at him. "Stop acting like a fucking five-year-old, yeah? It's friggin' annoying, Amelia!"

"What? Are you gonna bash my head in next?" I tilted my head and darkness flashed in his eyes.

"You're a monster, Khalil McKay!"

"And you aren't? Ms. He-followed-the fireflies. You're more fucking dangerous than I am, Amelia."

Tears welled in my eyes.

"You're more dangerous than the three of us combined. You're just as messed up. You're no different."

"I am different. I am nothing like any of you!"

He gripped my shoulders and pushed my back against the bed, hovering over me. "Yeah?"