31| sciamachy•

"When I wake up, I'm afraid, somebody else might take my place."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Afraid' by The Neighbourhood.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

Kanan

"How are you feeling today, Kanan?"

Such a monotonous question. A question that doesn't hold any real depth, any real authenticity, any true purpose. Ah, there was a true purpose. If Ms. Blithe, in all her dark-headed, straight nose glory had asked this question without the intent of crisp pounds and honourable epithets then perhaps I'd have not delayed to offer an answer. But I could see through her oval lenses, through those beady eyes that were a dark grey, that her heart, in fact, was the same ashy shade as her irises were.

People thought taking a life was the real wickedness. But I'd argue that smiling and pretending to give two shites about someone, solely for the exchange of brown envelopes sealed with vanity was, truthfully, the real immorality.

My lips tugged at the corner as I shook my head, suppressing a dark laugh. Ms. Blithe tilted her unusually-small head to the side as I brushed my nose with a thumb, my cheeks red from amusement.

"Want to share that joke with me, Kanan?"

Bloody no. Trust me. She wouldn't find it funny.

I sat upright, spreading my pants-covered thighs and counting the number of water-coloured people in that awfully-painted piece behind her. It was done sloppily—just like her job. She wasn't putting in much effort. It was like calling someone repeatedly, then saying: on the third ring, if he doesn't pick up, I'll stop calling. Then on the third ring, you don't even wait for the voicemail to come in before you hang up the phone. Sure, you could have stopped on the first attempt, but perhaps pretending to 'try'—to care, soothes your own half-hearted conscience. I bet Ms. Blithe couldn't wait until the clock struck five.

She couldn't get into my head, and if she ever did, it was I who allowed her that glimpse. She thought I only had psychopathic tendencies. That they were just dark thoughts, the ones everyone had but would never act upon. But it was much deeper than that. I was sure that if she knew half of the things I had done, she would have cancelled all her sessions with me and switched countries immediately. Crisp envelopes or not.

"Kanan? You willingly came here today. I mean, you don't have sessions on this day of the week. What's wrong?"

Then Amelia, with her thick pouty lips and big brown watery eyes squeezed through my 'defective' brain again like a giant iron drill. The way she looked at me when she thought I had harmed Matt Colton...I didn't like it. At all. There were not many things I didn't like. Arrogant people, people who looked down on others—I didn't fancy those people the most. But even they were entertaining. Why? Because they were all immortal.