Volume II- Misery Loves Company: 24| moonstruck•

"Cut out my eyes. And leave me blind."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Blind' by Hurts.

Volume II

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Third Person

"That was sloppy and amateurish. You know that, right?" Erwin breathed down into the black wired telephone, glancing over his shoulders every half of a second to ensure the scrawny guard with the uneven beard wasn't prying into his conversation. He hated visiting prisons, for he himself had to escape solitary confinement on several past occasions. The environment, reeked of wet metal forcefully kept down with the overuse of bleach, was triggering for the likes of him.

The angsty man on the other side of the fogged-up screen, with his roughly stubbled jaw and a pupil clouded terribly with a cataract, mirrored his boss' unease. Jerking his thighs while his sleep-deprived eyes scanned the small and stuffy visiting room. Ever since that terrifying moment in the cold alley off the town's train track, where he'd watched his lost friend bleed out before his very eyes, he had yet to return to his normal self. Red nightmares and images of Vinin's slashed neck and pale skin haunted him minutely.

"Who do you think that man was?" Erwin drilled, though he'd already asked the questions a thousand times before. Moses was his only lead, but the poor man was too distraught to think clearly.

"I don't know. He was properly covered up," he answered warily, running a calloused hand over his face. Again he looked around him, and Erwin, in an attempt to capture his attention tapped the glass a couple of times as if to say 'eyes on me.'

Moses refocussed, but his good eye now looked the same as his bad one—clouded and unclear. Erwin was shocked. This man, about six feet three with bulky arms and a heavy weight had never before looked this scared. That man, whomever it was must have been terrifying. He had to be. Only a fearless man could slit someone's throat without batting so much as an eyelid. Erwin had hurt people in the past, Moses too, but whoever that alley man was could clearly give them a run for their money.

"She's rich, so maybe it was one of her bodyguards or something." Moses finally stated. Hoping that by talking, Erwin would soon leave and he'd be able to return to the dense protection of his cell. The cold iron-like bed with musky sheets and rock-hard pillow felt more welcoming than sitting here and revisiting what had happened in that alley. If he could have gone back in time, he'd have never taken Erwin's order to rob that young girl.

Vinin was his brother. The two had known each other since they were teenagers.

"Bodyguards..." Erwin rolled his eyes to the ceiling, thinking on that piece of input. "I wouldn't say he was a bodyguard. You said he climbed the fence at the back and left her there, didn't you?"