3| kalopsia•

"And if I have to crawl? Well, you'd crawl too."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Crawl' by Superchick.

•·················•·················•

Amelia: 2015

After that day in the garden, Khalil had been staying at an arm's length. I knew it was because he thought he had hurt me, but that wasn't the case. Madonna had told me that it was just the starting of my period and that it'd come back every month. Except when I made a baby or got too old to make one.

It was a Saturday, and I was writing in my diary, something I started doing when Madonna told me that writing down my thoughts would help me to cope with them. She told me to write about my forgotten mother, my dead father, and my lost brother whose face was slowly fading from my mind. I hated it. The only clear image I had left was of him crying while I left the Child Services centre. And his face hadn't been normal then as it was twisted in sadness and smeared in tears.

I had hoped he was alright wherever he was and that someday under the sun, we'd meet again.

So, today, I wrote about my family. Not the new one, but the old one. I wasn't so sure Khalil and the boys wanted me to be a part of theirs. I doubted Meredith did. And Mr. McKay? I wasn't so sure about him anymore as he hardly spent time with me. He was always consumed with work.

Oh, and I also wrote about Khalil. I filled a whole page with thoughts about him and felt bad when I saw the small paragraphs that I gave my parents and sibling. I vented about how he had been ignoring me lately and how lonely I felt because of it. Since Kanan was always catching insects and Keegan was always reading some old novel, I was always left alone. It gave me more time to write in my diary but still. I missed Khalil. He was like a brother to me.

Loud noises came from my window, and I pushed the brown notebook aside and got up. I walked over to the window and opened it, looking down at the back of the house where the boys and a group of their friends were playing. They were throwing a green ball around, and I found it shocking that Keegan was playing too. He was always so reserved. I sure did not want to miss this.

Kanan spotted me and waved a hand in my direction. "Amelia. Come down here!"

A bright smile formed on my face as I pressed my chest against the sill, folding my arms. Khalil stopped playing for a bit, sweat dripping down his shirtless torso as he wiped his knuckle against his nose. "She doesn't have to come."

My face fell.

"Let her play..." Keegan said, and my eyes widened in awe. His voice was such a rare sound. Especially when directed toward me. "You can come, Amelia."

I grinned. "I am coming down!"

Excited, I dashed out of my room, pelting across the slippery living room as Madonna yelled at me not to run or I'd fall. My black hair blew in the wind as I rounded the house and got around to the back. I smiled as I joined them, and a little girl with hardly any hair on her head glowered at me. I saw her there before when her parents came by to eat with Miranda. I overheard them saying she had a scalp condition, and when they left that night, Miranda told me to take care of my hair, or I'd become like her. I didn't mind, as her hair made her look cool.

"How old are you?" She asked.

"Eleven." I smiled, and she hmphed.

"I'll be eleven next week. I am still taller than you are though."

I only smiled. "What are you guys playing?"

"Just catch and throw. We can split up in groups." Jordan, a dark-skinned boy with pearly-white teeth said.