16| quondam•

"I don't want to know, who we are without each other. It's just too hard. I don't want to leave here without you. I don't want to lose part of me. Will I recover that broken piece?"

Chapter Theme Song: 'The Other Side' by Ruelle.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Amelia

"He's going to kill him..."

My voice was heavy, strained, and cracked. Scratchy from the cold and the wind and the fear of Keegan killing this boy right in front of all these people. Tears streamed down my cheeks in thick, icy drops, and my body shook violently from fright and fear. But this fright and fear were not only stemming from Keegan shoving this boy's head into the wall, but from all I had witnessed or speculated throughout the years. Things the triplets did, things I felt like they did, things they were about to do but I somehow stopped them.

"He won't." Khalil then sighed from above me, his breath hot against my face. "We won't allow that to happen. Stop crying." Then he brought his cold lips to my ear, vapor pouring from his mouth as he whispered, "What did I say will happen if you ever cry again?"

My heart switched gear, going at an unhealthy mile per millisecond, and I carried my gaze up to him, witnessing the deranged gleam in his eyes and the strange smile on his face. Sometimes I felt like Khalil was the most normal of the trio, but on other days, he gave me more chills than Kanan and Keegan combined. And most of these chills were rooting from his bold lecherous behaviour. Then I wondered at that moment what was more dangerous: a man who scares you by murdering someone in cold blood, or a man who scares you by opening your emotions to things you've never experienced.

But I'd be untruthful if I were to say the triplets all didn't make me feel things. Intense things. Just as my limbs were now taut by the thought of Keegan killing that boy in front of all these people.

"If he keeps it in...his reaction later on will be worse." Khalil elaborated, and it was a wonder that I could hear him above all the yells and chatters and gasps of shock. "Let him be. You wouldn't want him suddenly cracking in the middle of the night and setting this whole ablaze, would you? Keegan hardly feels, but when he does..." He gripped my shoulder and steered my body around to face the scene. He put his mouth to my ear again, his lips touching my skin. "No one can stop him."

Keegan dug his fingers in the boy's hair, knuckles gashed and torn, lifted his face off the wall then plunged it forward again. Joseph squalled out as fresh blood gushed from the open wound in his forehead, staining the cream wall in a splatter of bright red. He blindly reached around, trying to snatch a hold of Keegan's collar, but it only earned him another hard slam into the wall.

I couldn't watch it. I squeezed my eyes closed, not wanting to witness another boy's head getting smashed open. Khalil had a point. He did. It was great that Keegan was 'feeling' but that didn't make it right. Be that as it may, not looking was even worse than keeping an eye out. So, I opened them.