15| fabht•

"I die every time you walk away. Don't leave me alone with me, see, I'm afraid. Of the darkness and my demons, and the voices, sayin' nothing's gonna be okay."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Under' by Alex Hepburn.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Amelia

I found out something. Parties in the real world weren't exactly how they were portrayed in the books I had read. Whilst they were fun and exciting in the black-printed words of a brown page, in real life, they were loud, and boisterous, and reeked of sweat and rum. I wasn't sure I liked it.

The living room was overcrowded, the floor shaking with the bass of the ear-splitting music. I could feel the vibration under my bare feet as I prepared to head down to the dungeon. I had been sifting through lace dresses and skirts that were just too long for several unfruitful hours. I gave up finally and settled with a pink shirt that had a white Peter Pan collar and a peach floral skirt that stopped a little above my knees. I know. It looked revolting and unsightly. But it was the best option I had unless I wanted to look like Madeline. And maybe I still looked like Madeline.

I snatched my hair into a single ponytail and left my cocoon, the stereo sounding deafening now that I was standing on the shaking corridors. I placed my palms on the silver banisters and peered down among the moving heads and colorful flashing lights. The house glowed to a bright red, dulled to a midnight black, glowed a light purple, then red, then black again. And I thought how triggering the effects would have been to someone with Epilepsy.

I saw the triplets nowhere. Absolutely nowhere, and I felt like a mouse running among a swarm of gigantic feet, hoping desperately not to get stepped on. Great, the party was going just great. Totally like in the books.

Raina said she was falling behind on assignments and partying was not her métier. Giselle couldn't make it because her mother would have found out about it and told Mr. and Mrs. McKay. So then, I had no one to row the unfamiliar boat with me. I was sure the boys wouldn't want me ruining their leisure occasion like an annoying baby 'sister.'

"Hi. Amelia, right?"

I gazed to the left of me to see a boy with dark hair approaching me. I couldn't tell the precise colour of it since the lighting was inconsistent, but the occasional flash of purple showed me it was probably a shade between brown and black. I guided my body in the direction, hardly able to track his movements as he proceeded. When the lavender light showed up again, he was a lot closer than I imagined.

"I'm Christoph." His smile was all red, then black, then purple. "I think you're in my biology class."

"Oh, um...hi." He was wearing a white long-sleeved shirt which made it a lot easier to shape him out. He was holding a cup, sipping from it as he eyed me.

"You look younger than I probably think. How old are you?"

"Party is downstairs, Mate."

I peered over the guy's shoulder to see a tall silhouette striding in our direction. I blinked a few times as my eyes adjusted to the unusual lighting. I was able to see a lot clearer now and I discerned it was something that came with time. No wonder everyone else seemed alright and wasn't walking like blind people. Khalil was adorned in an immaculately white dress shirt, sleeves rolled up to the elbows, and his wet hair combed backwards. He was chewing on what looked like a straw with his hands stuffed into his black pockets.

Christoph uttered, 'fuck' underneath his breath and pivoted, the breeze of his perfume filtering through my nose. "I was just asking her where the bathroom is."