28| arcane•

"Is anybody out there? Is anybody listening? Does anybody really know? If it's the end of our beginning. A cry, a rush from one breath, is all we're waiting for. Sometimes the one we're taking, changes every one before."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Holdin On and Letting Go' by Ross Copperman.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Amelia

Pastor Morgan said no sin was greater than the other. That every sin was the same. Lying, fornication, stealing, adultery. They were all the same thing. According to him, there wasn't a single sin that was weighed more than the other. They were all measured equally. There was no special segment, no unique area for those who overdid evil, which meant, if or when Pastor Morgan's teachings came to pass, I, Amelia McKay would be dwelling among the liars, whoremongers, and the murderers, melting in the fiery repercussions of the bad I'd done on earth. And then this deranged, sinful thought sprung up in my head: alast, I would be with the boys, perishing next to them. I shook my head frantically: no, insanity.

And on my jury parchment would be the sentence: Amelia May-McKay. Charged with abetting murder and harbouring feelings of intimacy and iniquitous lust towards her adoptive brother.

But intimacy; I didn't quite understand it, and my home tutors when I was younger had never truly covered the topic. What I knew, I had learned from coloured moving pictures and old-time novels.

I wondered if Meredith had told Ms. Faye and all the home other tutors to subtract sex education from the syllabus. I felt as though she wanted to maintain that innocence among us, to keep our minds unscathed and pure. But she couldn't hide us away from what our bodies were made, programmed, to feel.

It was not only at that moment while I watched Khalil walk towards me, that I'd felt this rare emotion. Neither was it that time we kissed in the Super Suit on his fifteenth birthday. But it was a moment before then when the rain had hit against the old arch windows, glimmers of raindrops reflecting on his young face, and he'd tell me his secrets. Well, just a portion of them.

I didn't quite understand the 'darkness' or what it was. But all I knew was that something or someone had caused him and his brothers to become this way.

And each time night fell and Khalil cuddled me close, his heart racing too fast, and his breathing hot and bothered, I knew he still feared that unknown enigma.

But all I wanted was to soothe his pain, to tell him that everything was going to be okay. Although Giselle had warned me to stay away from him, I just could not do so. It was hard to separate from someone you grew up with. Someone who made your heart race in ways you couldn't quite explain.

"What's that?" Khalil swiped his arm against his nose, and I forced a smile, pushing the cutlery forwards.

"I made peanut butter sandwiches."