14| stiùir•

"Touch me. Why don't we kill each other slowly? What can I say? Baby, what can I do? The monster in me loves the monster in you."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Monster in Me' by Little Mix.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Amelia

As soon as we entered through the doors of the physics classroom, which reeked of old books and wood polish, the familiar face at the back of the room made me stiffen slightly. Cole was lounging back in one of the iron chairs, lips dragged up in a smirk while he flicked between his fingers what looked like a compass from his open geometry set. I slowed down in my steps hesitantly and saw when Keegan glanced back at me as he lumbered to a seat at the far left of the room. There were no empty chairs together. The other vacant one was on the right hand beside a girl who was tugging at her flaxen strands.

Aware of the many gawking eyes and hushed exchanges, I anxiously ambled my way down the narrow aisle to occupy the only spot that was available. The girl glanced at me then pushed over her books and pencils that were laid out on my side of the desk.

"Thank you..." I muttered as I peeled my bag off my shoulders and hitched it around the arms of my chair. My eyes fell on Keegan's across the room, and he was watching me absorbingly. Maybe I was thinking too much but it seemed as though he was ensuring that I was alright. I sent him a tight smile, and he looked away thereafter. He didn't smile back, but that was okay; Keegan didn't like smiling. As he had said earlier that morning, he liked to be straightforward with people. Fake smiles, fake cares...he didn't have the tolerance for it.

Then the smell of nuts and cinnamon appeared. An aroma similar to the one I'd smell at home when Madonna baked raisin cookies. A figure appeared above my head, a tall one as their red necktie brushed against the side of my face. I drew back slightly and craned my neck to see Cole smiling down at me, his lips captured between his sharp teeth. The class was watching on inquisitively, and I felt severely uncomfortable. It was not that I feared him; I didn't, but I didn't know how to interact with the boys of the outside world. It took too much work, and I hadn't even practiced yet.

"Is there something you need?" I questioned softly.

His grinning friend came up behind him, propping a skinny elbow on his broad shoulder. Cole looked at the action, then glared silently at his mate. The pal's smile faded as he immediately took a step back, rubbing his shaved head as he returned to his seat at the back of the room like a rejected puppy.

Cole tore his gaze away from him, then smiled again. "Kasey?"

The girl next to me drooped her eyelids. "What?"

"May I have that seat?"

She rolled her eyes but gathered her resources, anyway, fixing her bag on her shoulder as she stepped out of her seat and moved to the back where his friends were.

Cole installed himself into the chair and splayed his arm over the edge of mine. "How are you this morning, Amelia?" He extended a buff hand to the left of him, and his friend placed his bag handle and his books inside of it. He looked at the stack then rolled his eyes. "This is Jordan's Chem book, Leo!"

"Oh, sorry!" The gaunt boy from earlier collected the book at the top of the pile and replaced it with another. On the front of it were a bunch of old Spiderman stickers that were already peeling off, and doodles of naked girls with...hairy genitals? My mouth slackened.

"Anyway...where were we?"

"Amelia."

That soft voice. I turned my head to the left of me to find Keegan staring in my direction. Was he the one that had called me? Of course, he was. I knew his voice by now, though he wasn't a frequent talker.