6| metanoia•

"Beautiful creatures, you and me" –little mix

Chapter Theme Song: 'Monster In Me' by Little Mix

•·················•·················•

Amelia: 2019 (four years later)

"Truth or dare, Amelia." Giselle reclined onto her palms as she smiled.

"Truth." I beamed.

"Okay...is it true that this is the worst birthday party of your life?"

Everyone chuckled and I sighed with a nod. "It's awful."

It was my first official birthday party since I had moved in with the McKays, and frankly, it'd have made it no different if I didn't have one. The house was thronged with mostly adults who took the opportunity to turn my day into a gathering of some sort. Meredith was unable to talk Mr. McKay out of this one as excelling in my studies had earned me the privilege for my fourteenth birthday. So why not just make it a knees-up and invite all my adult friends, right? That was what Meredith must have thought.

"You have us, Melia. It doesn't matter." Kanan smiled as he threw an arm around my neck, pressing his cold lips to my head.

A scoff came from across us, all wrapped in scorn and disdain. "But it would have been better if she was your real sister," Jacob remarked, and my heart plummeted once again.

Jacob Whitaker. The boy who broke my arm when I was eleven. I hadn't seen him since that day he injured me in my backyard. I wondered who had invited him, but then recalled that his dad was a life-long associate of Mr. McKay. See? Their day, not mine.

Kanan had a smirk on his face while he watched the boy on the other side of the circle. Jacob was simpering as well, looking more devilish and conniving than the last time I'd seen him. He and the triplets were slowly losing their baby fats, cheekbones slowly sharpening and arms slowly thickening. They were almost fifteen but appeared a lot older than their age.

Blatantly, I was the only one that puberty despised as I was yet be ridded of my baby-face. I razored it down to my gene as my father had seemed younger than his age. And maybe if I could see Adam right now, he would have been another attestation of that.

"You should shut the hell up; no-one wanted you here, stupid idiot." Khalil looked deadpan, and Keegan was only observing the hated boy with detached, lifeless eyes. Keegan got scarier each second, minute, hour that went by. He was even more mysterious now and quite harder to read.

"Doesn't fucking matter." Jacob shrugged arrogantly. "My father invested a lot of money into GROW-WE-KNOW-CHEMICALS. So I am entitled to be here. I am entitled to fuck with you all, and most definitely, fuck with your orphan-little 'sister' over there."

I looked down, and Keegan slid his eyes to me then back to him.

"Keep talking." Kanan smiled, his hand stroking my back.

"I will be the CEO of that damn company one day." The arrogant teen forked his long fingers through thick blonde hair. "And the first person I'll be ruining is your handicapped dad who only has one leg. Wait...what happened there? Did he sell his leg for fortune?"

"Stop it," Giselle said, but the boys were only watching him calmly, composedly, collectedly. They showed no sign of discomposure and I wondered how they managed to do that. Disrespecting their dad that way...I thought they would've lashed out by now.

Kanan chuckled and pulled me closer to his side. His pink tongue came out to sweep across his bottom lip. "Jacob...wouldn't you have to be alive to be a CEO?"