xxxi. tickling the wire

CHAPTER THIRTY ONEXXXI

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
XXXI. TICKLING THE WIRE

CLEARING JOHN B'S NAME WAS ALL THE POGUES COULD THINK ABOUT FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. Clearing his name so that him and Sarah could come home. But how they were going to do that exactly, none of them were sure. A few ideas had been floating around in their heads till they got out of school that afternoon but there was hesitancy that they could actually pull any of them off.

First of all, JJ had suggested kidnapping Rafe to get the truth out of him. But the others were quick to shut his idea down. They couldn't risk getting into trouble while trying to clear John B's name. Although, Juliet was down for that idea if they couldn't come up with anything else. She more than anyone would enjoy torturing Rafe a little, just like he had been doing to her and her friends for years. Luckily for them though, Pope had a plan. Finding a material witness to Peternkins murder and getting them to confess that Rafe committed the murder. And Pope had the perfect person in mind, Ward's pilot. And luckily for him, Juliet knew exactly how to find out who it was.

Kiara made the drive from The Wreck all the way into Figure Eight to Juliet's house. Where she went inside alone to seek out Paul. Although her stepfather worked long hours during the week, ever since that day John B and Sarah went out into that awful storm, Paul had been spending a lot more time at home. Juliet wasn't a hundred percent sure why but she had a hunch he was just there to keep an extra eye on her, and on JJ. Juliet knew Paul still didn't trust JJ.

The house was quiet when Juliet entered, the only sound being a soft one from the kitchen. Probably from Juliet's mom. Her younger sister was most likely at a friends house, she usually was after school, and her older brother was at work. So Juliet headed for the kitchen to see her mom. And there she was, unpacking a few bags full of food. "Hey mom." Juliet greeted Maria, standing against the kitchen counter, leaning her hip against the marble.

Maria had turned around to smile at her daughter before continuing unpacking the bags. "Hey sweetheart. How was school?" She had asked her daughter as she restocked their fridge.

"School was fine." Juliet answered but Maria had raised her eyebrows at her daughter. "As good as it could be when everyone thinks your best friend is a murderer who kidnapped Sarah Cameron." Juliet elaborated but that wasn't what Maria had wanted to hear.

"Jules..." Maria stopped what she had been doing to face Juliet properly.

"But it was fine." Juliet shrugged, not really wanting to have a heartfelt conversation with her mother, which was what always happened whenever someone mentioned John B anymore.

Maria took Juliet's hint that she didn't want to talk about school or John B, so she changed the subject. "Did JJ not come home with you?" Maria had asked her daughter as she continued to watch her on the opposite side of the kitchen. JJ had been there that morning so Maria had expected JJ to come home with her.