i. hurricane agatha

CHAPTER ONEI

CHAPTER ONE
I. HURRICANE AGATHA

SUMMER WAS JULIET COOPER'S FAVOURITE TIME OF THE YEAR, WITHOUT A DOUBT, AND IT ALWAYS HAD BEEN. The long days in the sun, all that time off school, days at the beach, late nights outside drinking and having fun with her friends. There wasn't anything she loved more, and she had been excited about summer starting since Easter had passed. But from the time between Easter and the start of summer, something had happened that had changed Juliet's mind completely. So much so that she was no longer looking forward to days out on the water, the sun beating down on her wet skin as she caught a tan. She was no longer excited about not having to wake up at 6am for school Monday to Friday and she was no longer urging to spend all day with her friends on the beach drinking cheap beer and eating snacks Kiara had made for them.

For the past six weeks, Juliet had barely even seen her friends. It was her choice but it was a choice she hated to make. But she felt like it was her only option when the pure sight of JJ made her frustrated beyond belief. Juliet couldn't stand to be around him and he felt the exact same way. The two couldn't even be in each other's presence without being at each other's throats. And the rest of them hated it. Which was why Juliet decided to stay away. She felt like it was driving the group apart and she didn't want that.

They had all obviously noticed the change in Juliet's behaviour, they'd noticed it straight away. Then even more so when she started bailing on their plans. And it was obviously a shock to them all when JJ would make a comment about how he was glad she'd bailed on them instead of insisting that they stop by her house to drag her out. It was even more shocking when all the two would do was make unnecessary digs at each other whenever Juliet did actually hang out with them.

Juliet and JJ had always been the closest out of everyone. Had been ever since Juliet's father died. Juliet, John B and JJ were all inseparable when they were younger, they did everything together and they were all equally as close with each other. But then they befriended Pope and then Kiara and the dynamics changed, they had to. And Juliet and JJ were just naturally drawn to each other more. It was never weird though, and it never crossed the line of a friendship.

Things weren't even affected when Juliet moved to Figure Eight when she was 13. After losing her dad when she was 11, everything in Juliet's life seemed to have changed. Everything from her house and the clothes she wore to her relationship with her mom and her siblings but never with her friends.

Juliet met John B in second grade when she was 7 and the two had met JJ in third grade a year later. The two 8 year olds had befriended the scatty blonde boy one lunch break after noticing that he was playing on his own. Pope and Kiara became their friends years later and the 5 had become inseparable. They were each others family and Juliet wouldn't have changed it for the world. They kept her sane and grounded when she was struggling and she didn't know what she would've done without them.  Especially John B and JJ. Growing up together on The Cut while their parents struggled with money and keeping afloat, it created a bond between them that was unlike any other.