xxii. blind old ladies

CHAPTER TWENTY TWOXXII

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
XXII. BLIND OLD LADIES

THE GROUP HAD WAITED TILL IT HAD GOTTEN DARK BEFORE HEADING BACK TO THE CRAIN HOUSE. They'd all been home to change before meeting up at the Chateau so John B could drive them all there in the Twinkie. John B was driving, as usual, as the rest sat in the back together. "Alright, you guys got rope?" John B had started listing off the items they needed as they got closer to their destination.

"Got it." Pope called out from the back, looking at the rope they had on the floor of the van.

"Grappling hook?" John B then asked.

Pope shook his head. "We don't have a grappling hook. We're not Batman." He told his friend, making a few of the others laugh.

"Pulley?" John B ignored Pope's comment and asked another question.

"Check." Kiara answered John B before Pope could, spotting the pulley on the floor by the ropes. They'd all just thrown everything into the back of the van and sat around it.

John B asked another question. "Dark clothes?" He had told everyone prior to wear dark clothing but he was just making sure they'd all remembered.

"Got it." Juliet said as she looked around at everyone wearing the darkest clothing they owned. She'd been wearing a black hoodie and a pair of black jean shorts she found in the back of her wardrobe that were probably about 3 years old, she was surprised they even fit her.

"Flashlights?" John B asked one last question.

JJ grabbed his flashlight from the floor. "Check."

"All right, good. We're ready." John B said as he pulled the van up outside the Crain house like he had days before. Except it was dark out this time. John B was the first to exit the Twinkie, walking around to open the back door for the others. As soon as it had opened they had all started to move but John B's voice stopped them. "Wait, wait." They all stopped and stayed sitting in their seats. "I wanna say thank you guys, seriously. It means a lot to me that you're here tonight." John B told them, looking at all of them individually.

The group couldn't help but smile at John B. "Always." Juliet said, grinning at her friend.

"Of course, man." Pope then said, him and John B quickly doing their little handshake.

"My man." John B said while doing it before sharing a smile with Kiara and Sarah.

"Alright, are we done with the circle jerk? Can we go do this?" JJ had said, throwing the rope over his shoulder. He was getting impatient.