xv. midsummers

CHAPTER FIFTEENXV

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
XV. MIDSUMMERS

MIDSUMMERS WAS PROBABLY THE ONE THING JULIET ACTUALLY ENJOYED ABOUT BEING A KOOK. It was an excuse to dress up and just enjoy herself. There was usually no grief or drama, just a bunch of rich people mingling for the night and having a good time. Juliet had spent the last few years hanging out with Kiara, the two would stand there watching everyone and judge their outfits to pass the time. Rafe or Topper would maybe try to start an argument with the two, they'd wind the girls up but Kiara and Juliet knew better than to rise to it in front of everyone.

But this year was going to be different. Juliet knew the moment she woke up that morning that it wasn't going to be like any other year. First of all, Pope was going to be there with his father which was already a problem. If Pope was there and so was Rafe and Topper then there was no way there wasn't going to be any altercations. But Juliet prayed that they'd keep it together just for one night. Juliet hoped Rafe wouldn't be stupid enough to do anything in front of his father.

Juliet had spent the whole morning getting ready for Midsummers. After waking up at 9am and going for a run, she'd showered and spend the hours from 11am to 2pm getting ready. She'd asked her mom to curl her hair and style it for her. Juliet was useless at doing it herself and Maria had placed some pearl clips into the front of Juliet's hair as she clipped the front back as the rest of her curled hair fell down her back. Juliet thought it was beautiful. She then started doing her makeup, which shouldn't have taken as long as it did but Addison had kept barging into her room to ask for help and Juliet had been told that morning to help her sister when she needed it. So Juliet was stopping every fifteen minutes to help her sister clip her hair back a certain way or help her put some mascara on. Juliet didn't get why their mom couldn't just help her but Juliet didn't complain.

Half an hour before Paul wanted to leave, Maria had brought Juliet's dress into her room for her to change into. Juliet had brought a beautiful blush pink a-line dress with a sweetheart neckline while out shopping with Maria. It was strapless and had a silver jewelled belt that sat on the waist and it was covered in lace detailing. It was gorgeous and hands down Juliet's favourite dress she'd worn for Midsummers. It was the type of dress she probably would've chosen for prom and felt like a princess in it. She should've felt like a princess in it then. But Juliet wasn't in the mood for any of it. She didn't want to go and have to pretend like she was enjoying herself and that everything was okay when it wasn't. Juliet still hadn't heard from JJ, she still didn't know where John B was and she had a really bad feeling that something bad was going to happen.

Maria had helped Juliet put her dress on when she'd brought it up for her. She zipped up the back of it for her daughter and straightened out the skirt as Juliet stood in front of her mirror. She really did look like a princess. "You look gorgeous, Jules." Maria told her daughter as she looked over her shoulder, feeling herself tear up. She had felt a sudden wave of emotions wash over her and felt like she couldn't hold it in. "Wish your father could see you right now. He'd be so proud of you." And Maria wasn't just talking about how Juliet looked anymore. The two rarely spoke about Juliet's father. It was still a raw subject between the two but whenever they did, it was always just something short and sweet just like in that moment. Juliet didn't reply, she just smiled back at her mother through the mirror and helped straighten out her dress. Maria then left her daughter to finish getting ready. Juliet finished putting on her jewellery and she put on a pair of heels that matched the colour of the dress.