xxviii. saying goodbye

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHTXXVIII

XXVIII. SAYING GOODBYE

          THE LAST PLACE JJ OR JULIET WANTED TO BE WAS AT JJ'S HOUSE, JJ ESPECIALLY. But they didn't have any other choice, they needed to find the key for Luke's boat for John B. When Kiara pulled up outside Luke's house, Juliet had leant forward from the back of the car and placed her hand on JJ's shoulder gently. "Do you want me to come with you? Because I will." She asked, thinking maybe JJ would want the company. Neither of them knew if Luke was home and if he was, he wasn't going to be happy to see his son. Juliet thought if maybe she was with him then Luke would think twice about laying his hands on JJ. It had definitely worked before.

The boy hesitated, thinking about it, before declining Juliet's offer. The last thing JJ needed was to witness his father insulting Juliet, or worse. "No, I'm good. This will only take a second." JJ said before opening the car door. Juliet and Kiara then watched JJ approach his house with clear hesitancy and Juliet's heart broke a little. She couldn't imagine what he was feeling.

Juliet was on the edge of her seat the whole time JJ was inside, wanting nothing more than to rush in after him to just make sure he was okay. That was all she had wanted. And it was an uncomfortable wait to say the least, especially for Juliet. Just the wondering if JJ was going to walk back out with more bruises than before. And when he finally did return, Juliet had to stop herself from jumping out the car and giving JJ a hug or even climbing into the front to give him a hug when she noticed the wet patches by his nose. He'd been crying.

"H-How'd it go?" Juliet stuttered, leaning forward again as she asked JJ how it had gone, if he'd got the key or not. JJ never answered her, never said a word, as he held up a set of keys on a chain for her and Kiara to see while forcing a smile on his face. Juliet had then reached forward and grabbed hold of JJ's free hand, giving it a squeeze to let him know she was there. And she kept holding his hand as Kiara drove away and the whole ride to where the boat was kept.

When they arrived there almost 20 minutes later, JJ had obviously cheered up and Juliet realised this when he practically jumped out the car to see the boat with a smile on his face. "There she be. Hey girl. A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom." Juliet and Kiara weren't too far behind the boy as he approached the boat. "The first boat to make the run to the Bermuda in under 16 hours. Forty years old! Forty! And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen." JJ told them, his face lighting up like Juliet hadn't seen in days.

"It's kind of a junker." Kiara shrugged as she looked at the old boat in front of her.

JJ turned around. "Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you. Let's just put it this way. You wouldn't be smoking weed right now if she never existed, okay?" He's said, making Juliet giggle. It was just a boat.