v. scuba diving

CHAPTER FIVEV

CHAPTER FIVE
V. SCUBA DIVING

POPE HAD TAKEN JULIET HOME THE NIGHT OF THE KEGGER, BEING THE ONLY SOBER ONE OUT OF THE GROUP. After she had passed out she managed to wake up pretty quickly after, which was good seen as John B had passed out only seconds after she had. Juliet had to explain to her mom what had happened but she left out the part about the gun JJ had decided to shoot. Juliet was sure Maria wouldn't ignore the fact that JJ had possession of a deadly weapon.

But Juliet did tell Maria who had given her the nose bleed. Topper Thornton. Maria was aware that Juliet didn't like Topper and the two didn't get along. And if she had to be honest, she wasn't exactly fond of the boy either. He was stuck up and spoilt like most kids on Figure Eight. Maria was sometimes glad that she had raised her kids on The Cut, they were more appreciative of the things they had.

Luckily, Juliet's nose wasn't broken but it was bruised quite badly. Juliet could cover most of the redness up with makeup but the bruises were dark and even her concealer couldn't hide it all. When Juliet had gotten home that night she had expected her mother to be mad at her for being out all day and coming home with a bloody nose. But Maria wasn't. She was a little bit upset that Juliet had put herself in the situation to get hurt but she understood why she did it and she was actually glad that she had spent the whole day with her friends. That hadn't happened in weeks.

While Maria was cleaning up the blood from her daughters face after Pope dropped her home, she decided to ask about JJ. "So, you gonna tell me the real reason why you haven't been hanging around with the others as much? Because I could tell something was up when they came and picked you up this morning." Maria asked her daughter, who was sitting beside the sink on the counter in their downstairs bathroom. She was standing between her legs as she wiped the dried blood from her mouth and chin.

"I don't know, everyone's just been busy." Juliet had shrugged, hoping her mom believed the obviously terrible lie. It was exactly what Kiara had said but Maria didn't believe her either.

"So how come they thought you was going to make up an excuse to not go?" Maria questioned, raising her eyebrows at her daughter.

"I don't know! Mom, it's not a big deal, okay. I just haven't been hanging out with them a lot the past month. There's no reason why." Juliet snapped, averting her eyes away from her mother. She didn't want her mom questioning her about her friends and she certainly didn't want Maria asking about JJ, but she had a hunch that was what was coming next.

Juliet never usually kept secrets from her mother, that wasn't the type of relationship they had. Juliet wasn't one to sneak out or lie about where she was in fear that she would get herself into trouble. Maria wasn't a strict mother and that was probably due to the fact that when they were living in The Cut she had much more important things to worry about than making sure her children were kept in line and disciplined every single time they stepped out of line.