ii. sunken boats

CHAPTER TWOII

CHAPTER TWO
II. SUNKEN BOATS

DESPITE IT BEING THE MORNING AFTER A STORM, IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY. The sun was shining and there was a cool breeze in the air. Juliet had her eyes closed as she sat at the back of the HMS Pogue, head leaning against the seat and the breeze blowing through her hair. One hand was wrapped around a bottle of beer and the other was resting on Kiara's shoulder as she sat on the floor in front of her. Juliet felt content and hadn't regretted joining her friends that day, not yet at least.

In that moment, while Juliet was listening to the boys laughing about something stupid JJ had said and the presence of Kiara beside her, it reminded Juliet why she enjoyed the summer months so much. Moments like that, moments of pure bliss, also reminded Juliet why she had the friends she did, why she had kept them around when she could have easily dropped them like flies and befriended more respectable and appropriate people. It definitely would have made Paul happy if she had Kooks over instead of the Pogues, if Sarah was the one knocking at their door instead of JJ or John B. But Juliet never wanted that and she never would. They were her friends for life, she knew that. Which was why it had broken Juliet's heart that things had been so different lately. But at least for a few hours, things could be as normal as they could be. At least that was what Juliet had hoped for.

After a while into their ride, tops had been discarded, more beers had been opened and Pope had taken control of the boat. "Hey Pope, can you go a little faster please?" JJ had asked Pope as he walked to the front of the boat. Juliet had been sitting in the same place as before but with John B sitting beside her instead.

"We've tried this like six thousand times." Pope muttered under his breath, speeding up the boat for JJ. Everyone knew what the boy was trying to do, they must have seen it more times than they could count. But JJ thought it was cool. Juliet was sure it must've looked cool if she wasn't getting beer practically thrown in her face.

"I've got this. It's gonna work." JJ told them standing right at the front of the boat, holding the bottle of beer in front of his face, letting gravity do the rest of the work. And obviously, everybody ended up with beer splashing in their faces.

The dark coloured liquid was flying straight into everyone's faces, stinging their eyes and leaving their skin sticky. "You're getting beer in my hair, stop!" Juliet had called out leaning forward to try to shield herself from the beer that was missing JJ's mouth. JJ ignored Juliet's calls to stop, which was no surprise to any of them.

The others had enough too once the beer reached them, Pope shielding his eyes from the alcohol. "Alright, alright. You're done." JJ ignored his friends, continuing with his stupid party trick but everything came to a stop, literally, when the boat seemed to hit something in the water which sent JJ flying off the boat and Juliet and John B onto the floor. Juliet's head had crashed on the bottom of the boat as she practically fell on top of John B.