iii. motel rooms

CHAPTER THREEIII

CHAPTER THREE
III. MOTEL ROOMS

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR THE POGUES TO REACH THE RUN DOWN MOTEL, WHICH HAD BEEN DAMAGED IMMENSLY BY THE STORM, AFTER LEAVING THE COAST GUARD WITH THE KEY FOUND ON THE SUBMERGED BOAT. Juliet couldn't believe that someone who owned Grady-White was renting a room in such a dump. In fact, it was what they were all thinking. JJ had let out a whistle in seeing the motel when they pulled up. "I thought the Chateau looked bad." It was clear to Juliet that they all thought the motel was looking rough.

"This place is a shit show." John B added, directing the boat to the side of the motel where they could dock.

"Motel or meth lab?" Kiara said, her eyes glancing over the area. Juliet couldn't help but think that the motel had always looked like that and that the storm didn't cause it. There were a few trees knocked over and signs on the floor but the motel itself just looked dirty and run down. Like something out of a horror movie.

"Doesn't look like the type of place someone with a Grady-White stays." Juliet said, standing up from the seat at the back of the boat to get a clear look at the area outside the motel. It was a complete wreck.

"No. Looks like the type of place someone with a Grady-White would get killed." Pope replied. And he was right, that is exactly what it had looked like.

When the boat got closer to land, JJ had moved to the front of the boat and had covered his mouth with his hands to muffle his voice. "This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing." The boat then hit the grass and JJ jumped off to tie to boat up. Usually, Juliet would've laughed at JJ's stupid comment in his stupid voice, but she couldn't. Every time she went to laugh at JJ she had to remind herself that they weren't like that anymore and as much as that broke her heart, she had to move on. It had been a whole month since it happened and she didn't see her and JJ making up any time soon.

"We good?" John B had asked JJ, who was still tying up the boat.

When the rope was secure, JJ answered. "We good."

"All right. Here goes nothing." John B said, ready to exit the boat.

"Hey." Pope grabbed John B's attention before he could move any further. John B then turned around. "Don't let him do anything stupid." Pope said, nodding his head towards JJ who just smiled.

"Oh, we will." JJ said. Juliet rolled her eyes and held back a laugh. He really was an idiot.

"I'm not making promises." John B told Pope, shrugging his shoulders. Not even John B knew how to stop JJ sometimes, no one knew how to control him when he was acting like an idiot. Except for Juliet. Well, she used to be able to. One word from Juliet telling JJ to stop, he'd either stop or at least think about it first. She was the only one who could control him but now, he almost always did the opposite of what she said.