Chapter Thirty-One

Samuel | 21

"Okay."

Was the only word to fall from my lips, I honestly had nothing else to say.

I owed him some sort of explanation, even though I said I wouldn't involve in this and I really shouldn't be involving him, I needed to see him one last time.

Getting up from where I sat, I began to speak.

"I had to take care of some things pertaining to my work, and I couldn't keep in contact with you because I know you'd question my whereabouts and it really wasn't any of your business." I finish simply.

Keeping things short and straight to the point, hoping he wouldn't question further.

But of course...

"It wasn't my business? So you want me to take you seriously when it comes to what our "situation" is, but you can't even keep it all the way real with me—are you serious right now?" He questioned, his eyebrows furrowed while his eyes narrowed.

I mimicked his facial expressions before responding.

"Yes, I don't know what else you want me to say. I mean I didn't ghost you because I wanted to, I did it because I had to—I wanted to keep you safe and I knew that if I kept in contact with you then you wouldn't be safe. So you can be mad at me, I'll take that but your safety was the main thing on my mind." I ranted, hoping he'd understand where I was coming from.

Though it seemed to go in one ear and out the other, so I continued.

"Look, I understand your frustration—trust me I do, but if I had to chose between cutting you off or keeping you safe—I'm choosing the latter. I'm here now though, and honestly I shouldn't even be around you, but I didn't just want to leave without a goodbye, and for right now it's safer for you to be in my presence than to leave you on your own." I spoke, walking over to him and taking a seat next to him on the bed again.

He just sat there, staring off into space for a bit before he spoke up.

"I told you I wanted to know everything, every detail. I wanna be able to keep myself safe too, but how can I do that if I don't even know what I'm keeping myself safe from? You owe me that honesty, if my life is potentially in danger from being associated with you—then I should know why, it's only right." He faced me, his tone was hard but the look on his face told me everything.

He was worried, and rightfully so.

"Baby, I wanna tell you everything and I mean it, I really really do but I can't share everything with you the way I want to because if you know what I know—then that'll make you an even bigger target." I paused, thinking about how I could possibly explain my situation in a way that would make him feel a little more included.