Chapter 41

It was a beautiful Friday morning and Annabelle had just finished getting ready for work and walked into the kitchen to grab a quick cup of coffee as she was running late.

She had to go drop the kids off at school first because her mother wasn't feeling very well that morning and had to stay in bed.

After checking up on her mum who assured her that she would be fine in no time, she dashed out of the house.

She walked into her office and was greeted with the sweet smell of fresh roses. Her eyes quickly went to her table where a bouquet of red roses were neatly laid.
A smile came on her face.

David.

"Good morning madam." Her secretary Darlene came into the office with a wide grin. "This came in for you about an hour ago."

Annabelle smiled as she picked up the small fancy note beside the bouquet and read:

For the most beautiful woman in the world.
D.M

Her heart warmed and the smile widened to a grin. He really was something. The past few days had been a dream come true for her and she knew that this time, it was forever.

***

Later that morning, she got a call from Dominic. She hesitated as anger reared up in her as she remembered the things he had done, but then decided to pick.

"Hello Dominic." She said, trying to make her voice sound as normal as possible but it ended up being flat.

"Hi beautiful, how are you today?" He asked cheerfully.

"Fine, fine thank you." She replied drily.

"I haven't seen or heard from you for days now," he said. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything is fine." She replied. "I've just been...very busy of late."

"Ok but don't get too busy for me please." He joked. "Can we have dinner tonight please? It's been a while since we did."

She winced. David had already asked her to dinner last night. And even if he hadn't, she wasn't sure she would still have gone out with him.

"I'm sorry Dominic but I already have a dinner date tonight." She said.

There was a brief silence on his end then he inhaled sharply.

"With who?" He asked in a menacing tone.

"That shouldn't be any business of yours Dominic," she almost snapped. "What's important is that I'm engaged tonight."

There was another silence, then she heard him take deep breaths.
"It's ok Annabelle, next time then."

"Thank you." She said and he hung up.

"Good riddance." She muttered and dropped the phone.

***

Her secretary said goodbye to her when it was closing hour later that evening and left but she stayed back to finish replying some emails before closing for the day.

Just as she finished replying the last one, a knock came on her door and she started.

Who could that be? She had thought everyone would have left by that time.

"Who's there?" She asked but there was no reply.

She should have locked the door!

"W-who's there?" She repeated, trying to keep her voice strong.

The door gently opened and Dominic's smiling face came into view and she breathed a sigh of relief. Why was she even scared when the security were outside and operated 24hrs?