Chapter 20

Six months and two weeks later.

She came into her small apartment and gently stretched her back as much as her heavily pregnant self could allow, then went to get a glass of water from the tiny kitchen.

She came back to the room and winced as she slowly sat down, conscious of her increasing backache.

She looked around the small room with a weary sigh, wondering when she would have the time and strength to do a thorough cleanup for that week as her job demanded her leaving the house in the morning and returning at night except on Sundays.

She worked as a cleaner in a small motel not too far from her small one room apartment located in an indecent neighborhood that was more of a dump site and an avenue for indecent and criminal activities in the outskirts of the city.

But that was the only place around that she could afford to stay in.

After her last encounter with David, the pain and hurt were too much for her to bear. She had even contemplated suicide once until she remembered she couldn't do that to her innocent unborn baby who was still in her womb.

She had left the city altogether after she found this place then sold her phone and got a much smaller one with a different line then started life afresh and ever since, she had not seen nor heard from the people from her old life.
She even stopped reading newspapers and magazines and listening to News because sometimes these News featured them especially him.

She had tried to get a job in the city with her good results but most of the office positions were filled and some of the employers had asked to sleep with her before they could help her so she stopped trying and instead looked for jobs around her neighborhood before she got this one.

It wasn't much but it fed her and took care of her bills. She hoped for a raise or get a better job by the time her baby was born.
She also hoped that she wouldn't have to raise her child in such an indecent environment.

It was her eight month and her boss had been telling her to take the remaining months off since her sixth month and return after she had put to bed but she had refused since she wouldn't get paid if she took that offer. And it had been way too stressful and hectic for her. She was only keeping on because of her child.

She had saved some money within these past months that she used to get some baby things for her child and which would last her for some time after she gave birth.

Her neighbors next door had been kind to her. The married couple who had two grown up children had fed her when she had nothing to eat at particular times and she never even asked them for it.
She was very grateful to them.

She was finally going to check the gender of the baby the next day being Sunday since that was her only free day so she would know what exactly to get for her child apart from the unisex baby stuffs she had gotten.

She ate the bread roll she had gotten on her way back with water which would serve as her dinner that night then lay on the 4inches mattress as she waited for sleep to come. And as usual, sleep hardly came.

❤️❤️❤️

"Congratulations Miss Thompson, you are having a set of healthy twins, a boy and a girl."

❤️❤️❤️

How in heaven's name was she going to take care of two babies and raise them? How was she going to achieve that with her meager salary?

"Stop worrying Annabelle, everything will be fine." Her kind neighbor Mrs Rebecca soothed. She was a woman in her late thirties. "God will definitely make a way."