Chapter 32

"Mummy you don't look happy at all." Samuel commented as he watched his mother keenly.

Annabelle forced a smile and pulled her to him. "It's nothing baby," She reassured. "Mummy is fine."

"Promise?"

She gave a wide smile this time. "I promise I'm fine my son."

He smiled back and nodded.

She couldn't stop thinking about the invitation card that was sent to her two days ago. She still couldn't get her head wrapped around it.

David was finally getting married to his long time love.

She glanced over at her daughter who lay sleeping on her grandmother's laps and her mother herself was already dozing off, with her arms wrapped around Sandra.

She had given her the news and she was sure the woman had felt really pained for her.

"Let's get you and your sister to bed," she said to Samuel. "Your grandma needs to retire to bed too."

In the comfort of her room, she found it even difficult to sleep. Again.  And this had been the routine these past two nights.

She hated herself for putting herself through such suffering. And hated him too for making her go through what she was going through.

"He...he never loved me." She whispered. "After all these years, he couldn't even bring himself to forget whatever I had done to him in the past, that I know nothing of. He never loved me! He never did!"

The tears she had been trying so hard not to shed these past few days ran down her cheeks like a flowing river, sharing in her pain.

She hated herself for crying over him, after vowing she'd never cry for him anymore. But she couldn't help it.

He was getting married to another woman.

God, her love for him had never waned. Despite everything he did to her, she still loved him. So much. It's a pity that he didn't feel the same. He never did.

Right from when they were still kids, he had always placed Lydia above her. Was always buying more stuffs for Lydia and showered her with attention just like Monalisa. While she had always watched from afar, from the sidelines. She had always had a huge crush on him but never found the courage to tell him for fear of been rejected.

And when he travelled abroad then for further studies and his father's business expansion, she finally decided to give another man a chance than pining away for a man that didn't even acknowledge her existence.

That was when she met Dominic. Sweet, loving Dominic who managed to sweep her off her feet. She had loved Dom, but her heart was never rid of her affection and attraction to him.

And when he finally returned home, he became worse than before towards her. Especially when she introduced Dominic to him as her boyfriend.

She remembered that day vividly. She had introduced them both and Dominic had politely brought out his hand for a handshake but David had scowled at the hand for long seconds then grumpily and reluctantly accepted the hand very briefly and walked away without another word. She had covered up for him, saying he was only feeling like a big brother and would come round which he never did.
Deep in her heart, she knew he didn't want anything to do with matters concerning her. She knew he didn't want to associate himself with her affairs.
She knew that because when he met Lydia's boyfriend then, he was protective yes, but more accommodating and even offered the boy a drink and some brief warnings never to hurt his little girl.