Chapter 22

Why did she look at her like that?

Annabelle couldn't help but wonder.

She had never met the woman before in her entire life so she wondered what had brought about that expression on her face and the stare. She was looking at her like she knew her from somewhere. Well, she probably did. After all, she was kinda popular when she got married to David Maxwell and ran Maxwell Inc. as the Vice President.

*
The next morning, she sat in her office with her mind whirling over whether she should accept Dominic's offer of dinner that night or reject politely.

He had called the previous night and asked at the end of the call, if she would have dinner with him and she said she would give him an answer the next day.

"Hello sweet lollipop."

Annabelle rolled her eyes as her biggest admirer in the office Jake, came over to her table with a huge grin on his face.

"Jake good morning." She drawled. "Hope you slept well?"

"Very much so my dear." He replied. "How could I not, when my dreams were filled with you?"

She rolled her eyes again. "Noted, Jake. Did you want something?"

"Oh!" He exclaimed, suddenly remembering what he came for. "You see, your beauty makes me forgetful sometimes. The boss just came in few minutes ago and she asked to see you."

Annabelle stilled.
"Do you think there's a problem?"

"I wouldn't know my dear, she told me nothing."

Annabelle walked to the CEO's office with her nerves on edge. She couldn't fathom why Lady Ingrid had stared at her like that yesterday and was now asking to see her this morning.

"Yes?"
A sultry but cold voice stopped her.

Darlene, the CEO's office assistant. A bitch when she chose to be.

"Morning Darlene..."

"I've told you several times, it's Miss Lopez to you." The assistant interrupted. "What do you want?"

You mean 'Miss bitch?''

Some people were just naturally bitter.

"Lady Ingrid asked for me."
Annabelle said coolly.

"Go right in then. She's waiting for you."

Bitch.

Lady Ingrid sat behind the vast table in her vast office sipping a mug of steaming tea when Annabelle went in after knocking.

"Good morning madam."

"Morning Ann." The woman replied in a friendly manner. "Please have a seat."

"Thank you Ma'am." She sat, already recovering from her surprise that the woman knew her name and even addressed her in one of her fond names.

"Annabelle," Lady Ingrid started. "How long have you been working with the company?"

"I've been with the company for over a year ma'am." Annabelle replied confidently.

Ingrid slowly nodded. "Are you free tonight?"

Annabelle blinked. "Ma'am?"

"I want you and I to have dinner tonight." Ingrid continued, her expression neutral. "There's something very important I need to discuss with you."