Chapter 7

"Dominic I have to go now."
Annabelle declared, rising up.

Dominic stood up as well.
"Why, is it because of Maxwell?"
He asked in a pained voice.

"Uhm, I..."

"You're developing feelings for him." He said with narrowed eyes.

"No!" She exclaimed. "How can you even say that?"

"Well, your attitude recently."

She shook her head. "It's not like that. It's just that, this...is a contract as you know and I have to keep my own part of the deal."

Dominic took a deep breath.
"I've heard you."

She nodded.
"I have to leave now, please. I'll call you."

💖💖💖

She had expected David to yell at her, scold her or even ignore her. It would have been better if he had done any of those, it would have been better than this.

She recalled the day the incident with Dominic had happened.
She didn't see David in the office throughout that day and his annoying bimbo of a secretary had said he had various appointments which was true because she checked his schedules for the day on Gloria's desk as the woman turned away.

But he came home that evening and after bracing herself for a good scolding from him or even a snub from him, she didn't get either. Instead, he acted as though nothing had happened!

He asked about her day, which she answered awkwardly, asked if she had eaten and even told her of the results of his appointments while she gaped at him in both surprise and confusion.

Surely the David she knew wouldn't forget such an incident as the one that took place in the afternoon.

She had waited for him to bring up the issue, but he didn't. Instead he was been all polite and a little aloof. It was as if he didn't give a dime about what happened, as if it wasn't his wife's hand another man had held openly in a public restaurant.

Even a week later, the issue had still not been brought up and she desperately wanted them to talk about it, as well as what she had blurted out, the night before the incident.
She didn't know why she cared about what he thought of her but she did. She didn't even have feelings for him but she wanted them to stay in peace and at least friends, in their three years marriage.

The doorbell rang and Annabelle went over to see who was at the door.
Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw just who was at the door but smiled nonetheless.

"Mum," she greeted. "It's so good to see you, come on in."

Monalisa gave her daughter a tight lipped smile as she entered the house.

"How are you, Annabelle?" She asked.

"I'm fine mum," Annabelle replied with a smile. "Sorry I've not been able to come visit."

Monalisa scoffed. "It isn't necessary, you're not even needed there."
She said nonchalantly and Annabelle frowned.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Nothing, now go get me a glass of cold juice."
Monalisa waved her away.

Annabelle left the living room and came back with a glass of orange juice while her mother was looking around.

"I must say it's a very luxurious house you live in now, Annabelle." Monalisa commented and Annabelle smiled, ignoring the fact that her mother had never called her by her fond name.