Chapter 2

Annabelle woke up the next morning, barely sleeping, the night before. She glanced around the room not recognizing it for a moment before it finally dawned on her that she was in her new husband's bedroom. And his house. Memories of the previous day's event flooded her and she squeezed her eyes shut.

She was no longer Miss Annabelle Thompson but Mrs Annabelle David Maxwell. She was now a real Maxwell, against her will.

They both had also refused to go somewhere special for their honeymoon because they didn't see the need for that since they couldn't even stay in the same room with each other.

She sighed, this was the beginning of her marital life.

She sat up and stretched her limbs then shot her eyes to the door as a soft knock came on it.
She wondered who it was because the David she knew wouldn't knock on her door like that. He could possibly barge in on her, naked and pretend she wasn't there.

"Come in." She permitted and the door opened softly to reveal a short plump woman in a cook's apron and Annabelle assumed she was the cook. She was probably in her mid or late forties, as Annabelle noticed.

"Good morning, madam." The woman greeted, still standing by the door.

"Good morning Mrs or Miss..."

"Mrs Abigail Samson, madam," The woman replied with a smile. "But please, call me Abigail."

"Okay, Abigail. How may I help you?"
Annabelle asked in a friendly tone.

"Breakfast is ready madam," Abigail replied warmly. "Should I bring it up here or will you come down?"

"Oh I'll be downstairs shortly." Annabelle replied. Even if her husband didn't want her, she would try to make the marriage work. After washing her face in the bathroom, she went downstairs.

But as she took a step in to the dinning room, she was a little bit surprised that her new husband was not present, in fact the table was bare of any human being.
The aroma of the sumptuous breakfast spread through her nose tempting her to just sit and eat without him but she knew she couldn't start without him if he was around.

At that moment, Abigail came into the dinning to drop some cutlery and Annabelle decided to ask her of her husband's whereabout.

"Oh madam..."

"Please," Annabelle interrupted. "Call me Annabelle."

"Oh no madam, I can't. Please don't make me to." Abigail replied. "I seriously cannot."

Annabelle shrugged. "If you say so. So what were you going to say of the whereabout of my husband."

"He left very early for work today."
Abigail replied and gave a surprised Annabelle the Aren't you supposed to know? Look.

Annabelle tried to conceal her surprise from the cook as she dismissed her.

She flopped on the seat closest to her.

Work? On a Sunday? On their honeymoon? Why was he being this heartless towards her? He didn't even want to give the marriage a chance.
Was she been too hopeful? Should she just let him be? After all, he had given her his terms the previous night.

This wasn't how she had always pictured her marriage to be. Which woman would even want such a married life?
She sighed, then sat down to devour her breakfast.

Later on in the evening, she decided to go to the mall for her toiletries and cosmetics. It was just an excuse to leave the house, because she had been indoors throughout the day.