PARTY IT IS!!!

As we are debating whether to watch a sci-fi or Rom-com, mom walks in wearing a black, off shoulder high-low dress, matte black slingback heels, a pearl necklace and matching pearl earrings. The outfit compliments her smooth caramel skin and her make up brings out her golden brown eyes.

"And where do you think you're going?"

I ask as I lay eyes on my almost unfairly gorgeous mother.

"on a date..."

She announces with her hands akimbo

"Mmm... does dad know about this?"

I squint my eyes and raise my eyebrows.

"Yes I do... seeing as I'm the one taking her out on the date."

Dad joins in as he emerges from behind the wall wearing a royal blue suit with a maroon bow tie, a silver Omega watch on his hand, his favourite black earring studs and shiny black loafers.

"What's he doing here?"

Dad grumbles once he notices Eli. He glares at him intensely as he waits for a reply. Eli tries to move away from me but I grab his sleeve and pull him back. Whatever happened to his plan for gaining confidence to ask for Dad's blessing?

"He is her boyfriend Jake..."

Mom says matter-of-factly while giving dad a bored expression.

"Ohh...today is date night... I forgot. Hey, do me a favor and have her home by nine... I don't really feel like making dinner and Ace can't cook to save his life."

I deadpan, ignoring Dad's question.

"Ace ordered a pizza... should be arriving any min-"

The doorbell interrupts mom's statement.

"PIZZA!"

Ace hails from upstairs. He practically flies down the staircase, speeds past mom and dad, just to open the front door.

"Pizza delivery for a... Ace Gordon?"

A muffled male voice announces from outside.

"Thanks man, how much do I owe?"

"ten dollars."

After that brief exchange, Ace walks into the living room holding a large pizza box and a large cola. He sets them down on the table in the center of the living room then plops down on a lone couch.

"Okay, come back whenever."

I say as I wave my parents goodbye.

"How long is Desmond going to be here?"

Dad demands, still glaring at my frozen stiff boyfriend.

"Bye dad!"

I insist.

Mom pulls dad's hand, dragging him towards the front door, as she blows kisses at us.

"See you later!"

Mom says as she ignores dad's complaining and pulls him out the door. I hear it shut and a minute later the car engine starts and its noise slowly fades.

"So, what are we doing?"

Ace asks once the sound of the car engine has completely faded out.

"don't you have friends? It's kind of embarrassing to be hanging out with your little sister and her friends on a Friday evening."

I point out as I eye my brother.

"I'm only one and a half years older than you. We are basically the same age"