DANCE COMPETITION pt1

"Alright, I received the schedule last night. So, today we're just doing group dances, urban and contemporary. Tomorrow will be the solo's, so that's Elaina, Ryan, Oscar, Sarah for hip hop solo's and Hope, Ezra, Sarah again and Oscar again for contemporary solo's."

Mrs Barlowe confirms as we stand outside the bus. We all did solo's in the qualifiers but only the people she announced made it through to the finals.

"Thursday, the duets; Tess, Mike, Sarah and Zaccai, and Friday the award ceremony. Give it you're all! Make sure all the hard work and hours you put into your practice wasn't in vain."

It sounds like a motivational speech but I'm pretty sure Mrs Barlowe just announced the schedule and told us to win or else everything we did was for nothing. But judging by the way they're cheering, everyone else seems psyched. Whatever works, works I guess.

"Come on Sarah, show a little enthusiasm."

Oscar pleads.

Sigh

"WooHoo... go... whatever our school mascot is..."

I tried.

"SaberTooths"

Hope lets out.

"Oh. Go sabertooths..."

My lack of enthusiasm should have been an indicator that I don't care.

"That's the best you're going to get out of her."

Zaccai joins in laughing.

"I guess some people are just not as committed to the team."

Audrey really is incapable of giving it a freaking rest.

"Okay! How ' bout we just get on the bus."

We all board the bus following Mrs Barlowe's suggestion. I sit by the window again but just before I plug my ears with headphones , I feel something plop down on the seat next to me.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I ask Zaccai.

"Building a snowman, the heck does it look like I'm doing? I'm sitting."

"I don't want you to sit here, go away Dalton."

Zaccai starts sarcastically looking around the seat.

"Oh! That's funny, I could've sworn I had a care to give somewhere... oops! Looks like I'm all out."

"So, you chose death today, huh?"

"Go ahead and kill me cause that's the only way you're getting me off this seat. Over my cold dead rotting body"

The way he tries to mimic me with an annoying high pitch voice irks me. Pretty sure I just felt my eye twitch.

" I don't sound like that."

"I don't sound like that."

"What are you, twelve?"

"What are you twelve?"

This will go on forever and it isn't worth my energy. I don't know why I feel a weird and sudden sense of relief as I turn my head to face out the window and the bus starts to drive out of the building onto the main road.

"Admit it, you're happy I'm here."

I don't say anything, I don't even turn to face him. I just scoff at the idea of me being 'happy' that he's here' with an unintended smirk.

___

"Alright ladies and Gents, we are next. When you get on that stage you give those judges a performance they'll never forget."