DUST-UP

"Sarah! Sweetie? You're going to be late for school!"

Mom calls from downstairs. From under my covers, I reach for my phone and text her that I won't be going to school today, ignoring the endless number of texts and missed calls from Dez. Zac hasn't reached out to me since yesterday after what I said. I'll admit, it was harsh and I might've gone too far but even if he didn't hate me then he definitely hates me now and so there is no point in apologizing. It's fine though, I don't blame him, it's my nature to be hated.

"Hon? Is something wrong?"

Mom asks as she enters my room, uninvited.

"Nope... Just lazy. My grades are fine, one day won't hurt."

"What about dance? Won't Mrs Barlowe get pissed?"

Ace joins in... also entering my room uninvited.

"We don't have any upcoming competitions, plus she says i work too hard. If anything, she'll be happy I took the day off."

They both remain silent but I can feel their concerned gazes from under my sheets. I throw my bed coverings off me and sit up to face them.

"I'm fine... really. I'm just not feeling like school today. I'll go tomorrow. This isn't like the time with Dez."

I know that's what they were thinking. After Dez and I broke up I didn't go to school for a while. I refused to tell them the reason but they bugged me till I caved.

"Okay... But if something is wrong, you know you can talk to us, Right?"

Mom insists

"Yes, I know."

But sometimes I have to figure things out on my own.

"What's going on here? Are you having a family moment without me?"

Dad pouts. Honestly, does no one respect my boundaries? They're all walking in here like it's a public restroom.

"Sarah isn't going to school, we came to find out why."

Mom explains

"Really? Why aren't you going to school kiddo?"

"She says she's just not feeling like it"

Ace explains before I can. The tone he uses and the look they all exchange makes me feel like they don't believe me. But that hardly matters, I just need them to leave me alone.

"Could you all leave now? Don't you two have work? and Ace, don't you have school?"

I ask after an awkward moment of us just looking at each other silently. Them wait for me to cave and tell them what's wrong and me being stubborn about keeping my mouth shut.

"Sure. See you later sweetie."

Mom says hesitantly. They both follow her out the door and I let out a sigh of relief once they're gone.

___

At around one, I gathered enough energy to leave my bed. Motivated by my thirst for answers. I put on a random outfit and called an Uber to drive me to the only place I can get said answers. Now I'm standing in front of the same juvenile detention centre my brother was detained in when we were in middle school. I hate this place. I hate thinking about it and especially seeing it. But, I have no choice because this place is also where Chester and his friends are. I walk in and the officer behind the front desk lifts his head and instantly recognises me.

"Sarah? What are you doing here?"

"Hey Gary... I'm here to visit someone."

Gary has worked here for years. He was here when I'd come to visit my brother and since I came so often we all kind of became close. I never came back after my brother was released though.