IMPOSTER

"Sarah Gordon?"

Mrs Breiden calls, pulling me out of my mind.

"Here..."

"Where is Mr Dalton today?"

Why would I know that?

"I have no clue..."

"Aren't you guys friends?"

"Yeah, well, unfortunately they forgot the free tracking device that was to come with my friendship subscription..."

Some of the guys in class start to laugh, which is unusual because my comments always get little to no reaction. I don't want to bother finding out who it was that laughed so I just continued looking out the window.

"Sorry I'm late Mrs Breiden."

An out of breath voice lets out suddenly before she can respond.

"Nice of you to finally join us Mr Dalton, take your seat please."

I hear a couple of rushed footsteps approach me and I feel the empty seat beside me being occupied.

"Morning Sarah"

I remain silent and continue observing the outside world.

"Are you seriously still not talking to me?"

It's been four days since the karaoke thing. I've been doing my best to avoid interacting with Jeanna and/or Audrey. Erica too.

"Come on! I've apologized like a million times. What will it take for you to forgive me?"

The bell rings, saving me from having to listen to Dalton continue pleading. I pick my bags up and wear them over my shoulder then patiently wait for the classroom to clear out.

"Look, it was an in the moment thing. I didn't mean to. I promise. But..."

I get up and walk away before he can finish his explanation. As expected, he follows me out of the classroom and to our lockers. I continue to ignore him and head to class once I have everything I need, but he still follows me. I don't know if he realized we have chemistry together but we walk into class and sit at the back desk as usual.

"You know we have to talk to each other for chemistry, right?"

I sigh and plop our experiment worksheet onto the table.

"Yes Dalton, I know."

"Finally! Oh how I've missed that ice cold tone."

He celebrates. I roll my eyes and start to go through our worksheet while double checking all my measurement recordings and calculations.

"Morning class! Sorry but I will not be able to teach you guys anything today. The principal just called for a staff meeting to discuss the overall midterm performances. Just read ahead about polymers."

Mr Budd announces from the door before disappearing into the hallway.

"Are you seriously about to read?"

Dalton asks after he sees me take out my text book.

"He asked us to read, didn't he?"

"You and I both know this class is too noisy for anyone to concentrate."

He has a good point. The second Mr Budd's footsteps were out of ear shot, voices from different students began to overlap each other. Not an ideal study area.

"You're right, I'm going to the library. And don't follow me."

I conclude as I pick up my bags and jump up from my seat. I march to the door and leave Dalton seated alone. I am pissed at him, yes, but the main reason I'm avoiding him is because I don't want to be a Jeanna and Audrey target. I honestly can't deal with their bs at the same time.