DUET

It's been two weeks since winter break ended. I've been actively avoiding the topic of Dalton's confession at the fireworks show. It caught me off guard, I'll admit, but I will not give in that easily. He hasn't brought up the topic so far since we came back to school though. Maybe he got the hint. I completely ghosted him for the rest of winter break and barely spoke to him the first three days of school. He didn't technically ask me out so I can't reject him yet, but I'll admit, I've been coming up with and researching creative ways to utterly reject someone. I need him to get it in his thick head that I am not one of his fan girls playing hard to get.

I exit my room, fully prepared for school, with my backpack and gym bag. I rush downstairs where I meet Ace alone making coffee. This is unusual seeing as its 6am and Ace doesn't have to go to school till 8. I have an early dance practice today which is why I'm up and ready for school so early.

"Why are you up so early dude?"

I ask as I march to the fridge to grab my water bottle.

"Mom asked me to make sure you eat something."

He mutters as he tries to rub the sleepiness of his face.

"I'll eat at school."

I assure him as I open the fridge door and reach in to grab my bottle.

"Sarah, this whole you not eating thing is becoming concerning man. You spend all your time practicing or studying. You're always making yourself busy and-"

"- spare me the lecture, big brother. I eat. Just because you guys don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen."

I interrupt as i close the fridge door and start walking away

"Sarah, you have visibly lost a ton of weight too rapidly for it to be healthy."

"That's just because I've been putting in extra effort for the dance club..."

"I think you have been putting in excess effort."

"Look, Ace, I don't need to hear this lecture again today. I have a club meeting today morning and I have to be early or Miss Barlowe will kill me. I'm fine, kay? I don't need you guys constantly keeping track of everything I do and lecturing me when I put in a bit more effort than usual."

Before I can get far enough, Ace asks something that forces me to stop in my tracks.

"Are you doing this because of Dez? To distract yourself from thinking about him?"

I remain silent as i try to compose myself

"No one else is saying it but we all know this all started that night you came home from that party. Sure, you went to school without fail after that night, but you didn't eat, speak or leave your room once summer break started. Even when you were going to school, you'd come home with your lunch untouched. Yet you still refuse to even speak about that day when it clearly affected you so much. You can't even hear Dez's name without-"

"- stop it! I don't need to hear this! Desmond and I broke up that night, that's all you need to know. Talking about it won't change that or make it any better so I'd rather spend my time doing something I love than remembering something I hate."

I march out the door, wear my headphones and play my favourite playlist to distract me from the rage boiling in me. But it's clear that my mood for today has been completely ruined

___

"Miss Gordon. Looks like you're the second one here!"

Miss Barlow hails as I walk into the dance studio. I search the room to see who is the first as I silently recite prayers for it not to be Audrey. My eyes lock on a certain chestnut haired boy I should've also prayed not to see.