OH, TO BE A STAR.

"Beautifully done Sarah and Zaccai. You put a lot more emotion into it"

Mrs Barlowe cheers after Dalton and I finish our fifth practice set.

"But i can't help but feel you two aren't in sync like before. Something is missing."

She adds.

"We're fine, probably just distracted by nerves."

Dalton defends while I remain silent.

"Regardlessly, if you guys perform the way you've been performing, you've got nothing to worry about. Same goes for the rest of you. I can see us taking all the first place awards, just like last year."

They all cheer enthusiastically. I've never understood the joy of winning a contest that doesn't have an objective judging point. I love dancing but the way I dance is unique to me. Determining what dance is better totally depends on the personal taste of whoever's judging. I know they have standard gauge points but even those can be subjective. No matter how many awards i get or don't get, i'll never be convinced it's possible to 'win' in dance. It's a form of expression. It's like having a crying or laughing competition and judging who has better technique.

"Something on your mind sarah?"

Mrs Barlowe asks as we exit the auditorium where we'll be performing tomorrow.

"No, not really."

"I noticed you and Zaccai are not as close today."

"We were never close. He is annoying and stubborn and I can't stand him."

She stops in front of me, blocking my way.

"That's not true. If you couldn't stand him, you would've found a way to get rid of him, like you always do."

"I've tried, believe me. But I also don't waste too much energy on people so.."

"Wanna know what i think?"

"Not particularly..."

"I think, all this time, you've been pushing people away before they can even get close. Then you met Zac, someone who finally pushed back. No matter what you threw at him, he threw it right back in your face and stuck by you. I think you like having him around despite the uncalled for things you say... I think he's the first person who's ever taken the time to know you before writing you off as the bad guy. And, I also think, he really loves being around you too."

Even if any of that's true, It doesn't matter now. He has finally realized that I really am the villain of the story. He knows that I'm not some damsel in distress in need of a knight. I'm not the poor insecure victim, getting bullied by the mean girls. I'm not saying Jeanna and Audrey and their friends are innocent, but I'm just as guilty. Now that he knows that, the stupid idealistic picture he had painted for himself in his tiny little head will wither away and he will move on.

"I don't know what kind of teen romance Disneyland filters you're watching us with but I don't push people away, people don't like my personality and walk away all on their own, I don't have to do anything. Dalton is just stubborn and thinks I'm just a challenge that he can move on from once he's conquered . He's only sticking around to see how long it's going to take me to break. That's how people are. I appreciate your concern but I don't care about people or their opinions and so naturally, what they think of me or how they see me is not my problem."

"It makes me sad that you see things that way. Because, from what I can tell, Zaccai really does love being around you and genuinely worries for you."

Even if he did... I doubt that'll last much longer. Especially after yesterday.