TRUE OR FALSE

I check my phone to see it's 8:25 am, Dez is late. If Zaccai wakes up, he'll want to come and I'll have to listen to both of them argue over everything.

"Going somewhere?"

My soul leaps out of me at the sudden sound of mom's voice. I take a minute to catch my breath and then speak.

"Oh hey, mom... you're up early.."

She arches a brow at me, lowering her coffee mug from her lips.

"Why are we whispering?"

"Okay, I'll be honest with you because it's you"

"Okaaaay... spill."

"I'm going to hang out with Dez today at the mall but I don't want Zaccai to come because I don't need to hear them argue all day. Dez is on his way right now."

As if on cue, Dez's black Cadillac ct5 slowly parks in front of the house gate.

"I have to go, mom. I'll see you later. Feel free to tell Zac I'm with Dez."

She tries to say something but I close the door before she can because I know she has many questions that I don't have time to answer.

"Took you long enough."

I complain as I enter Dez's car.

"Yeah... I woke up late and Dad took my car yesterday, waking him up to get my keys was a... challenge."

"Whatever, let's just go."

____

Dez and I went to a cafe for breakfast. After about an hour, the arcade  opened and we played all the games that we could; from racing games to shooting games to sports games. After four hours, we ended up in a tie, as usual. He's better at sports games like basketball and the dance one that every arcade has, but I'm better at games that require a bit of brains. At the movies, we ended up watching a thriller about some serial killer. Dez was scared out of his mind when the end credits rolled and it was written 'based on a true story'. I mean, serial killers have always existed, so why get scared now? He has been clinging onto my hands since we left the movies and started heading to the bakery that sells our favourite donuts. He says he is protecting me but he just wants an excuse to hold my hand.

"Well, we're here."

I announce, hoping he'll let go now.

"Great. I've missed their donuts. Let's get a whole bunch!"

And he's still holding my hand.

He pushes the door open and drags me inside to the counter.

"Mike?! Sarah?! Hey!"

The barista hails once she realises who we are. Her name is Flora and she has worked here part-time for a while. We came here so often that she knew our orders by heart.

"Hey, Flora!"

Mike's enthusiasm makes her chuckle. I just offer a subtle wave and an awkward smile.

"You two haven't changed a bit. What can I get for you guys? The usual?"

"Actually... one of every donut flavour you have and the usual drinks."

"Coming right up! Is Erica on her way too?"

The mood changes the instant Erica is mentioned. Mike looks away, no longer wearing his wide smile and I just do my best to remain calm and collected. But the tension is too heavy for anyone to be oblivious to.

"Did... something happen?"

After another brief silence, Dez speaks up.

"Erica isn't coming. She has better things to do."